• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

practical knowledge from scale models ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greywuuf

Hi guys (and gal's),
this post is probably enough to split into three or more posts but I have a couple questions and an "announcement" of sorts.

For several ( ok more like 5 ) years I have been reading dreaming collecting building and scheming of my project.

today I started. but I started small. I am constructing a 1/4 scale WWI Albatros DVa....only with no fixed wings. Instead the cabine struts are modified into a pyramid style tower that will hold the rotor head.

So what I am going to have is a composite fuselage sorta scale looking gyrocopter.

It is my understanding that taildragging gyro's are rare (anymore but not historically) and there are some handling traits that really need to be worked out.

My question is this, is a 1/4 scale large enough to get any reasonable idea of what a larger machine will act like ? I am interested in particularly things like CG/center of lift/main gear relationships and the like.

Ultimately this whole process will lead to the construction of a UL legal "1/2" scale albatros (meaning that my Full size version will be about 1/2 as long over all as the WW1 albatros)

so yeah many potential pitfalls and lots of learning and etc etc, but soon I should have some pictures of my plug and maybe even a build log. ( granted it will not be for an AC it will be for a RC model. though at 6' long with 10-11 foot rotors it will almost qualify )

Any comments advice flames or anything?

Thanks
Dan

Back