Quantcast

Power to weight ratio of fuel cells

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dusan

A lot of people are talking about hydrogen fuel cells for aircraft in order to get over the low specific energy of current batteries, but during my research I've discovered the fuel cell stacks are relatively heavy for the power they can deliver. The best numbers I found for specific power are around 1.5KW/Kg. Does anybody have a better source?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
What type of "fuel" are you planning on? Ammonia, methanol, liquid hydrogen, compressed hydrogen? The weight per watt-hour of the fuel will be at least as important as the pounds per watt of the fuel cell.

Last edited:

Dusan

What is the "best" in the sense what system can get the best power to weight ratio regardless of fuel type?

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
A lot of people are talking about hydrogen fuel cells for aircraft in order to get over the low specific energy of current batteries, but during my research I've discovered the fuel cell stacks are relatively heavy for the power they can deliver. The best numbers I found for specific power are around 1.5KW/Kg. Does anybody have a better source?
50kg (110lbs) for a 75 kW (100hp) power source doesn't seem too heavy to me. If you add a 25 kg(55lb) electric motor*, it's the same installed weight of a 100hp Rotax 912ULS package (including the alternator and everything needed to run the engine) at 75 kg (165 lbs).

* - I don't have time to look up and confirm, but I seem to recall a 75kW motor was available at this weight.

Noeson

2.0 kW/kg, but that's Toyota. My understanding is it's 10 lbs/kwh for a battery system and 2 lbs/kwh for practical purposes with current tech.

One bare bones system might be a 3kwh fuel cell ($15k) with 100 lbs / 10kwh of batteries ($5k diy?) for takeoff, a pair of Roto Max motors, ($1k) and a 200 lb tank ($1k?) with 6 lbs hydrogen producing a total of 100kwh (assuming efficiency is going to be lower than Toyota). Forklift industry has an infrastructure built up already for generating/pressurizing hydrogen, same with drones:

HYSTAT™15 – Indoor | Hydrogenics