Power E-Bike Batteries Have Caused 200 Fires In New York

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Not related to HBA, except in a very tangential way:

Some of these eBike batteries make the typical hobby RC and hoverboard batteries look like hand warmers in comparison. I had the one on my bike quit wile parked after a brief ride. Had to haul it home. Turns out the BMS in the pack isn't waterproof and enough moisture got in to shut down the BMS. Fortunately for me the failure was benign. When I opened up the pack to figure out why it quit I was kind of shocked by the rather poor way it was all packaged together with little more than shrink wrap. It also has no temperature sensor. It is a rather common off the shelf 1kW eBike battery - that has probably been sold by the thousands.
The bike stays, and is charged, outside.

PMD

I had an interesting meeting with some battery and materials people yesterday. Now, anyone who knows me realizes that IMHO Li Ion batteries are the work of the Devil. What I learned was that part of the problem with them lies in the separation materials that keep one conductive layer apart from another. There is some newer tech that might solve that problem.

Overall, though: can not imagine how anyone could think that the same cell that is far too dangerous to ship in a cargo hold or apparently charge in the lobby of your Brownstone is a good idea to load by the TON into a light aircraft. On that front: the latest cell separation tech allows (or WILL allow) Li Ion tech to tolerate direct puncture test standards. The whole exercise though was to introduce a group of us to new battery tech that is NOT Lithium dependent. Higher charge and discharge rates, better energy density, etc. things are in the works on many fronts, but interesting to hear from inside that industry how and why Li got so much inertia so early on when everyone knew it was essentially a supply limited dead end...and now an even less desireable supply chain issue due to Chinese strategy of dominating market.

Maybe as a warning to those shopping for batteries to use in their e-plane
Or those of us crazy enough to build our own batteries from cells/pouches..........

Follow the convention! That should be ePlane ;)
Due to my rather warped sense of humor I think this video is appropriate here:

tspear

Supporting Member
@PMD

Why is it you cannot carry gas/propane tanks on a plane? Yet are legal in your car? But not legal (depending on size) in some tunnels.... And it took decades to come up with the standards which allow us this flexibility today.

The broad based bans on LiOn for transportation are because there are effectively no standards on the batteries. So there is no quality guarantee, which means everyone is going to assume the worst case. Until there is some viable standards, which build a proven record, do not expect any relaxation in such rules.

Tim

Aesquire

Sure, products sold by get rich quick companies with zero care for customer's lives is a real thing. You make a company & name it Greenbike, and if it fails you rename & re-paper it as Bikegreen, selling the same stuff from the same supplier with new stickers. Don't need any actual manufacturing or much in the way of engineering, since you just copied another's work.

That sector of the industry is very profitable, low overhead, sales on Ebay & Amazon. Often a dozen " companies " selling the same things from the same factory with various levels of QC.

I see Gasoline Outboard engines, bicycle engines, ( exact same engine down to the part numbers cast in ) etc. I don't need to mention countries.

With E-toys you get lowest bidder cells soldered together and taped into lumps, with lowest bidder solder, tape, & labor.

Friends work in bicycle shops. They don't DARE work on any "brand" other than they sell. No way to get parts for a Wal-Mart or Amazon bike, and insurance won't cover their total loss when the building burns down. Or the lawsuit from the other business in the plaza.

How this relates to General Motors and their announcement you shouldn't keep your electric car close to occupied structures, I'll leave to your imagination.

I will point out that lousy QC, ( metal chips ) in Certain Factories is blamed for all those laptop and phone battery fires with a famous label on the product.

The difference between a gasoline can and a battery pack in your kitchen is the attitudes you take towards handling, maintenance and storage. You probably have years of experience to draw on about keeping a gasoline can next to your wood stove. Rechargeable batteries have a bit less folklore, regulation, education, and institutional memory...

Oh, and few plug an electric line into their gas cans... Apples/Oranges

Last edited:

sotaro

Typical Guardian drivel. Refers to vehicles, then states e-bike, scooters etc. All made in China at minimum cost with zero safety regs.
Before I retired, in about 6 months there were 5 battery caused house fires in San Francisco. It caused a bit of a stir.