Quantcast

Powder coated frame work?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Frank P

I'm new to fabric systems. Are there any issues with fabric systems over powder coated frame works? Any particular system work better than others?

TFF

Powder coat is fine for any of the fabric glues. The glues that Polyfiber and Ceconite use can dissolve regular paints and primers. That’s why they recommend their epoxy primers. Because auto body epoxy primer melts. Powder coat is plenty tough enough.

Frank P

Thanks for the info TFF. Bought an N3 Pup that I was just going to put an engine in and fly after fixing a few things. Now I'm considering recovering the tail feathers and possibly the fuselage. Recently had the engine mount cleaned and powder coated and liked the results. Considering doing the same to the rest of the structure.

TFF

Plenty of brands sell their fuselages powder coated. I’m sure it will be nice. Bit of a project but fun.

pwood66889

While on the subject...
Can Powder Coating be used where there may have been some pitting? I have control wheel shafts that would ride in a phenolic or some such slipping carrier. No big scraping, just slide back and forth, round and round.