Quantcast

Pou HM.16 drawings or plans for Pedal Plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Hello All,
I am trying to find some 3 views or even a set of RC plans for a Pou HM.16. I have a 1yr old and plan to build a pedal plane for him and nothing looks more cartoon than a Pou. However, may build 2 and the other will be a Depischoff Avionette.

Koen you got anything?

nestofdragons

I would loooove to see that pedal plane. The only HM16 i love to see. As a airplane i know that the plans are NOT TO BE USED.
At home i will try to see if i have some side-views and so.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I think I speak for all of us when I say that your pedal plane absolutely must include a joystick for rudder/ground steering control (Mignet designs have no pedals!) with +1,000 bonus points if it also makes the front wing go up and down (could be helpful for entering/exiting). ;-)

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I think I speak for all of us when I say that your pedal plane absolutely must include a joystick for rudder/ground steering control (Mignet designs have no pedals!) with +1,000 bonus points if it also makes the front wing go up and down (could be helpful for entering/exiting). ;-)
I plan to include controls and also make the wing pivot with the controls. Could not use feet anyhow as that is what drives the wheels. I also noticed it would be tough to get in so plan to design a way to disconnect the control to allow the wing to pivot up so the pilot can enter and exit. Also thought about a horizontal hinged door like a cub if needed. Also considering a flip up leading edge on one side of the lower wing.

I will also look for engine drawings and 3D print something that looks correct. Scott Squirrel would be fun. May even reach out to Pete Plumb to get a CAD file and scale it down. I asked him before as I have been working with him on the engine, but he has another CAD guy involved and its been hard to get files lately. Especially assembly files.

I will be ordering a set of pedal plane plans to use a measurements for the cockpit geometry and the ergonomics designed around a young child. Id like to make it so that its a bit big now, but with a booster or different cushions he can use it when he is 2 and also use it up to 4yrs old or so. He is 14 months now so I have a bit of time to sort this all out.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
This is going to be the first simple "child's pedal plane" done in full-tilt CAD by a high-end professional guy. I can see the Popular Mechanics cover story already...

"Build this Pedal Pou Airplane in a Weekend!" *
* with only 20 years of computer training and after building your own CNC router

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I will also look for engine drawings and 3D print something that looks correct. Scott Squirrel would be fun.
One or a couple of these as the engine base?

Built in sound effect too. :cool:

Attachments

addicted2climbing

Log Member
They guy sent me a STEP file of the fuselage converted from Rhino. In SW it converted it to surfaces, but I can use this as a basis to design the solid model. I am just waiting on the plans I ordered to get rough size of the cockpit and such for a child. Figured best to have some rough dimensions of what works as a foundation.

1603916472466.png

TFF

I use to have a Vroom. Wow.
Word of advice, as much as adding all the cool details sounds, build it for your kid, not for you. The kid will be too big to play with it if it becomes a toy for you. Just like a real homebuilt, it will take a lot longer to build than you want. Get it done and after it’s not a toy, add some cool stuff for display.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Oh great, now you’ve got me daydreaming about a modern Part 103 design inspired by the HM.16 Pou Bébe. There’s nothing wrong with the concept, just needs to be a little bigger with a better airfoil (NACA 23112 for example), modern paramotor engine, and correct CG. Hmmm....

Tiger Tim

Build what makes you happy, obviously, and it becomes that much easier to finish.

Having said that, if it were my project I would challenge myself to make it as simple as possible while still keeping (and even inflating) the character of it. The pedal plane kits available now all have a plywood-y charm to them and I know of a couple that have given decades of service to careless visiting kids who just wanted to have fun - and did. Contrast that against a pedal Fleet Model 16B I once saw that was stunningly beautiful and built just like the real thing; welded steel fuselage, built up wings and tail, all covered in Ceconite and dope, fabric screwed to the ribs (Fleet did that instead of stitching), all of the pinked fabric tapes and patches, etc... except no kids were allowed to touch it. Substantially less fun.

That’s just my opinion, mind you, but if you’re interested in more of my thoughts on it I can whip up a couple sketches.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Oh great, now you’ve got me daydreaming about a modern Part 103 design inspired by the HM.16 Pou Bébe. There’s nothing wrong with the concept, just needs to be a little bigger with a better airfoil (NACA 23112 for example), modern paramotor engine, and correct CG. Hmmm....
I already started looking into this as well. Figure once I have the layout, I can modify it as a Part 103UL as well. However, doesn't this have the spacing between the wings too close to be safe. Maybe a blend between this for the cute factor and layout and another to space the wings correctly.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Build what makes you happy, obviously, and it becomes that much easier to finish.

Having said that, if it were my project I would challenge myself to make it as simple as possible while still keeping (and even inflating) the character of it. The pedal plane kits available now all have a plywood-y charm to them and I know of a couple that have given decades of service to careless visiting kids who just wanted to have fun - and did. Contrast that against a pedal Fleet Model 16B I once saw that was stunningly beautiful and built just like the real thing; welded steel fuselage, built up wings and tail, all covered in Ceconite and dope, fabric screwed to the ribs (Fleet did that instead of stitching), all of the pinked fabric tapes and patches, etc... except no kids were allowed to touch it. Substantially less fun.

That’s just my opinion, mind you, but if you’re interested in more of my thoughts on it I can whip up a couple sketches.
I plan to make it as simple as possible. I want my kid to use it and be robust enough he can run into things. I have some time and will start to build it early next year and work on the design in my spare time now. I can cut the fuselage in cardboard on my laser as a test to make sure it fits him and iterate as needed quickly than once the size is ironed out design the rest.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I was only half-serious about the full-size, flying HM.16 derivative. Of all Mignet's original designs, the example I would follow is the HM.18. Good vertical and horizontal spacing of of the wings, neat enclosed cabin. Something similar, possibly with tricycle gear, would make a great little flying runabout. One approach would be to take the Rodolphe Grunberg HM.293RG plans and build a new fuselage for the stock wing, though I do love that double curve to provide the balance area on the H.18 rudder.

hm18.jpg

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I want to see the finished pedal plane. I want to make a Pitts-ish pedal plane for my granddaughter next Summer.
You can see it in person when its done. I am at KWHP. Also if you want to make a Lil Lil Bitts that is Pitts-ish, I could give you a few pages of the plans in PDF to work from. You only need the main 3 views.
plane is here: www.cloudbaseaviation.com

Riggerrob

You will probably want to go with the later, longer spacing - between front and rear wings - just to simplify climbing into the cockpit.