Not great for a thermal ceiling.
There's a 4" x 4" wide beam available.
Made out of tooling resin, Resists UV.
Pretty fair for the affordable column.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I have requested they supply the EI (bending stiffness) and maximum bending moment for each of these beams.

Since they are pultruded with polyester resin, I can expect pretty low max tensile and compressive strengths compared to epoxy or vinylester resin based pultrusions. Also, we do not know what the proportion of linear and bias fibers is, so estimating shear strength will be tough too, but likely to be rather low compared to a purpose designed and laminated beam.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Since they are pultruded with polyester resin, I can expect pretty low max tensile and compressive strengths compared to epoxy or vinylester resin based pultrusions.
Also, the choice of polyester makes it less suitable/easy to bond it to anything else.
I got the impression from their literature that the product is targeted at folks doing various projects near the ocean or other areas where corrosion is a problem. It would be interesting to see if it could be used for a small utility trailer, etc that wouldn't get destroyed by road salt and might be less expensive than AL.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Max temperature 150F.... no idea if that is higher or lower than an original Rutan style "Safe-T-Poxy" spar beam... Mr. Zeitlin ????
Pretty similar, when you consider the Tg of the epoxy and the temperature limits of the styrafoam. Generally, we consider anything over 135F - 140F to be problematic with the Rutan construction technology, even with epoxy post-curing.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Fiberglass extension ladder is probably cheaper per foot at Home Depot. Free shipping to store.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
If you are looking for 'poor boy' composite pultrusion this may be an option? It is cheap and easy to source.
The type I've used (in concrete) would require a quick sanding of the surface finish to be compatable with HBA needs.

Attachments

Lendo

The reason for using the Polyester may be that it's used externally and UV resistant, where epoxy is not. Epoxy will stick to Polyseter but Polyester sticking to to Epoxy isn't nearly as good
Any Pultrusion should be considered for it's strength, with some flexibility, l like standard Modulus Carbon with Epoxy. The epoxy provides the ultimate strength and the Standard Modulus provides the flexibility. The higher the Modulus the stiffer the material and the more brittle. The trade off for stiffness and strength is more in Bullski's field of expertise, so I just stick to standard Modulus being conservative.
If you look at the Quality Pultrusion, thye dispatch it rolled-up, so I assume it's Standard Modulus.
George