• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Possible Waiver for Battery Weight in Ultralights / LSA ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraCar11

I was watching some of Dan Johnson's aircraft videos last year on his YouTube channel "Light Sport and Ultralight Flyer", and came across his interview of Randall Fishman with his "Electraflyer ULS" electric powered ultralight motorglider. The video shows it was published in August 5th, 2014, but in the description it talks about Sun N Fun 2012.

(I included the link for the video at the spot where it is discussed. If the link does not work, here is a description of when it is discussed in the video ) At about 3:39 into the 9:33 video Randall mentions that he talked to EAA ( I couldn't catch the name of the person he talked to at EAA ) about a potential waiver to allow some extra weight for batteries. He mentions the spirit of the law, and the danger of 5 gallons of fuel in a crash vs. a stainless steel box of batteries.

I know people have discussed here, over the years, the wisdom of having a waiver for 30 lbs. of battery weight for an U/L. This is one of the few times I have heard of someone talking to the EAA, and getting potentially positive feedback on the topic.

Has anyone else heard of any success or failure in this regard? It seems like a reasonable request.

However, sometimes reason has nothing to do with regulations........

Safe Flying!

(Here is the video link at the spot I mentioned)
https://youtu.be/VWCc6ig-xMQ?t=219

Back