• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Possible longest range flying unpowered with stopovers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I red that it was banned to set new time records flying unpowered gliders because of the risks it involves for the pilot to fly sleepless. I remembered that on "one good day" a pilot flew most of the pyrennes (in VFR conditions) without planing it in advance, so it is obvious that with the right conditions it is possible to make very long range cross country flights.

I am just curious without pushing the limits, flying in IFR, very bad weather... According to you what would be the route to allow the longest possible flight with stopovers without motor?

Do you know of someone who has done it?

I know that a french hanglider pilot used to fly like this, Didier favre, but I never heard of anyone flying like this in a glider or a motorglider. Some germans like to come to spain to soar with their powered gliders but I guess that they fly powered for most of the travel. I guess that the pilot who flew around the world, or most of it, in a pipistrel did fly powered for most of the time too.

Here below is a map showing the places in wich you can still find a very big vulpture bird. It can give a more or less accurate idea of an appropiate route for gliding long range with remote areas (free airspace, available airfields) and good conditions (thermals, ridge lift...).

Thanks for your comments!

Oriol

731px-Gypaetus_barbatus_distr.png

Back