Porco Rosso

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
OK, Porco Rosso fans, since the other planes in the film seem to be inspired by actual interwar designs, can anyone tell me what plane inspired this one?

2108A707-A237-4B70-B85B-F5DE20887FE3.png

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Definitely some kinda Savoia Marchetti something or other. I should be using a loud, frustrated Italian accent when I'm writing this.

WAIT a minute (in louder, more frustrated Italian accent) it might have something to do with the Piaggio Royal Gull airplanes.....?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Not for the first time, Porco Rosso makes me think how fun it would be to have a lighter, smaller version of the Shavrov Sh-2.

Wanttaja

Not for the first time, Porco Rosso makes me think how fun it would be to have a lighter, smaller version of the Shavrov Sh-2.
Looks a bit like the Sunshine Clipper, only the Clipper was a biplane...
sunshine clipper better.jpg
Made from a '40s aluminum fishing boat, according to an article in the July 1988 issue of SPORT AVIATION....

Ron Wanttaja

Riggerrob

Thinking of which, I really liked the V tailed jet flyingboat at the end;
View attachment 118644
That loosely resembles the short-lived Italian Sea Dragon kitplane, albeit modified with a jet engine and V-tail.
There was also another, similar, Italian prototype flying-boat motor-glider circa 2000.
Finally, it loosely resembles the Sea Max monoplane kitplane, flying-boat.
So the sketch is practical ... we only wonder if that small-diameter jet would provide enough thrust.