• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Poor man Mode C Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurcio1989

I'm doing a poor man's Mode C install thanks to all of the units popping up on ebay from ads-B replacements. I just want a quick reality check here to make sure there is nothing I am missing. I think I cna get everything I need for under $300 plus whatever the radio shop charges to sign it off for me. My thinking, which was reinforced after talking to vendors at oshkosh) is that the market is being flooded with old mode C transponders that can picked up for dirt cheap now and when 2020 rolls around there will be a plethora of companies offering add on ADS-B in / out boxes in the 1k range.

So here is what I know I need, let me know if anything is off:

-transponder (kt76a) $150
-transponder tray (this includes the connector and is with the transponder)
-transponder connector pins (KT76a requires 12) $35
- Blind encoder ack a-30 $25
- DB15 plug for encoder $8
- transponder antenna $25
- transponder coax cable (with transponder
- 22 ga wire
-3 amp fuse

Back