Lots going on in my build, rib jig is one of them. I recently found out nails are discontinued and I have a small stash so I decided to use them. Times change I guess. Makes me wonder, will I be the last guy in history to use rib nails on a Baby Ace? Haha, probably not but it feels like I could be and that’s pretty cool.
Anyhow. This is my second set of ribs and that’s a long story. This wing will be slightly different than the original.
The nose is routered and they are all complete. When I built the fuselage I used a spar block between the wing structure and that’s what I’m using to build my jig so it’s a perfect fit when I mount them. The block is used to find the accurate center line for the spar slots.
Lots of progress being made in August. Tail wires, bending jigs, bushings etc. my goal is to wrap this tail up 100% in August.
After a great week at Airventure I decided to sacrifice all extra activities in my life and focus on the Baby Ace for this month. I always have so much going on and that means sacrifice to get what I want. This is the highlights from the 1st week.
Tail fittings are actually from a Stits Playboy design which of course is similar to other designs.
The rusty wires are for mock up only. Fittings are cold bent.
Mounting the rudder this rainy Sunday afternoon in the shop. Hinge bushings are welded up, cut l, squared and checked. I used scrap aluminum angle clamped on the fin to square up the rudder for welding which is gonna happen in about 30 minutes.
Tail is coming together nicely but slower than I had wished.