• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Polyurethane bushes for suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User27

I'm considering a design that uses coil springs in compression for suspension with the coils housed inside 2 sliding steel tubes, similar to a Chilton DW1A.
http://www.chilton-aircraft.co.uk/Images/113.jpg
http://www.chilton-aircraft.co.uk/Images/mis10.jpg
It struck me the other day that a stack of polyurethane rings might make suitable alternative.
Polyurethane tube is available locally, a quick internet search revealed 33.5mm OD tube (1 5/16") with 10.1mm (3/8") ID is available in sensible quantities to build 4 undercarriage legs.
It seems most designers cut the tube into rings of slightly less high than the diameter, say height = 0.8 dia, and separate the rings with large steel or aluminium washers.
The hardness available is 85A from stock or from 35A to 95A on special order - I believe that is on the Shore hardness scale.
The static load on each leg is around 180lb (800N), I've yet to figure out the max load that should be designed for.

Are there any loading tables for polyurethane rings in compression for suspension?
How does Shore hardness relate to load bearing capability?
Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Any suggestions gratefully received

U27

Back