Polen Special, anyone?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

David Moxley

Log Member
Hi David,

excuse my ignorance:

I know what a sheet-metal brake is and how it - usually - works. In the pictures posted I see a continous piano hinge...

HOW does THIS brake work??

Cheers,
thjakits
image.jpg

Here is a Quick sketch of the brake . It works quite well, and is worth the Effort to build . I have a 4 foot tinsmith box and pan brake that is none adjustable I bought new 15 years age, it is worthless for bending aluminum there’s no adjustment for setback.

f104asa

Here what I’m working on. Been working away at it finally,after several years of it being in storage! Making progress again. Will be coming out of jig soon.
Dose anyone know the Whereabouts of the 2nd: special that Darrell Usher started?He sold it serval years ago I heard to a person in Arizona? The last I heard the project was sold to someone in California? I’m sure there’s someone out there that belongs to an EAA chapter that knows where it’s at ? Any information would be greatly appreciated
woooooow

fixnflyr

Hi David Moxley,
Thank you for posting your progress, it is an inspiration to all! I am looking forward to your updates. I went and viewed the Polen Special at Dick's house in 2015. It was apart and needed some work. He told me he may not ever fly it again and might donate it to a museum. It is still my favorite homebuilt aircraft.
Please stay inspired and keep building as much as you can. Before you know it you will be ready to fly it!
Swaid Rahn

David Moxley

Log Member
View attachment 93372

Here is a Quick sketch of the brake . It works quite well, and is worth the Effort to build . I have a 4 foot tinsmith box and pan brake that is none adjustable I bought new 15 years age, it is worthless for bending aluminum there’s no adjustment for setback.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here is the article that describes better, hope it helps.

speedracer

Here's the way I remember it: In 2000 I was at the Apple Valley, Ca. airport. It was the starting point for the Copperstate Dash air race, 304 NM to Coolidge, Az. (that's what it says on my second place trophy) and I was entered with my LongEZ SPEEDRACER. I watched Dick land the Polen Special with only one main gear down. He did a great job and did only minimal damage. I chatted with him and he said was impressed with the number of sponsor logo's on my plane. I should have gotten his autograph.

Group Builder