Polen Special, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Mac790, Dec 27, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 4, 2015 #61

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

airport_2_small.jpg airport_3_small.jpg airport_4_small.jpg airport_5_small.jpg

Here are a few more renders. I added stripes and some decals but it took a lot longer than expected to figure out how to do it. I wanted to learn how to do the stripes/decals since it's the last step in the modeling/rendering process.

flyvulcan likes this.
  2. May 18, 2015 #62

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

airport_1_small.jpg airport_2_small.jpg sunset_5_small.jpg

A few more renders - I redid the stripes and made them a little skinnier. This is about it for version 4... Now working on version 5 - need to figure out how to turn the bits and pixels into something more real.
    Mike

3. Aug 26, 2015 #63

Devin York

Devin York

Devin York

Gary!

I am a builder just getting into the Nexus
    I used to work with Dick and his son Chris at XU

Learned alot from them and now work as a professor in aircraft structures.. I am interested in contacting the individual doing the mods to see what he has to say and possibly obtain some info

Can you send me his contact? my email is

yorkdevin@gmail.com

4. Oct 3, 2015 #64

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

delta, Pops, bmcj and 1 other person like this.
  5. Oct 25, 2015 #65

Highplains

Highplains

Highplains

I read that the rear section of the fuselage is all midget mustang. He also built a Formula One Polen Special called "Lil Honey", which would be a much more practical design.

6. Jan 8, 2017 #66

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

Hi All,

It's been a long time (too long) since I've updated my progress but finally finished version 5. In the pictures, you can see that it departs significantly from the 3-view of the original Polen Special. Version 5 is more of a Polen Special inspired design as opposed to a copy of the original Polen Special. Also, still very much conceptual but more realistic in terms of size (version 4 was a tight fit) for the engine and a 6' 3" pilot. There's about 2 inches of headroom and 6 inches under the seat. I want to do something for safety (crush zone) under the seat but still need to learn more about this.

I have Dan Raymer's "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders" and have been using the Excel spreadsheet. Tracing through the cells for the various formulas is kind of painful so I used this as an excuse to start learning a math package. I have most of the equations from Raymer's book entered into a Mathematica notebook and making some progress with the initial numbers.

I feel like I've made some good progress but realize I've barely scratched the surface! More to follow.

Mike

1 Pollen special 3 view - with text - small.jpg 2 V5 side view 1 small.jpg 3 V5 side view 2 small.jpg 4 V5 side view 3 small.jpg 5 V5 side view 4 small.jpg 6 V5 perspective 1 small.jpg 7 V5 perspective 2 small.jpg 8 V5 perspective 3 small.jpg 9 V5 perspective 4 small.jpg

7. Aug 6, 2017 #67

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

Hi All,

Checking in with some updates. I'm mostly finished with Raymer's "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders." I learned a lot and definitely recommend it as a 1st step for anyone without experience and doing a conceptual design. Per the book, it's meant to be a first-pass conceptual design so I think it gives you a "gentle" introduction to aircraft design. The accompanying Excel spreadsheet (free from Dan Raymer's website) is very helpful and lets you do sample calculations as you work your way through the book.

From the Raymer spreadsheet, some of my version 5 numbers are -

Gross weight: approximately 1650 lbs
    Engine: 200 hp (Turbocharged)
    Range: approximately 890 nmi
    Stall: 60 kts
    Cruise: 220 kts
    Ceiling: 22,000 ft.
    Power Loading: 8.25
    Wing Span: 22.5 ft.
    Root Chord: 4.7 ft
    Tip Chord: 2.8 ft
    Wing area: 84.4 ft
    Wing taper ratio: .6
    Wing Loading: 19.6 psf
    Fuel: 44 gallons
    Wing: NACA 65-212
    Elevator and Rudder: NACA 0012
    Pilot: 6' 3" and 225 lbs

I don't have a lot of confidence in the weight estimates or CG estimates for the various components so I'm sure there will be a version 6 in the future.

I've updated version 5 per the spreadsheet numbers - for safety purposes, there's about 6 inches of space below the seat and 2 inches of headroom to the canopy. The wings, elevator and rudder are modeled as the airfoils listed above and are in approximately the right locations for CG considerations. Also, the elevator was moved forward to help with spin recovery.

I feel like I've made a lot of progress but realize it's just the tip of the iceberg - on to version 6!

Mike

v5_1_side_1.jpg v5_2_side_2.jpg v5_3_cockpit_space.jpg v5_4_45_degree_1.jpg v5_5_45_degree_2.jpg v5_6_side_3.jpg v5_7_side_4.jpg

rv6ejguy, DangerZone and mcrae0104 like this.
  8. Aug 6, 2017 #68

BJC

BJC

BJC

Nice. Glad that the project continues.

Does the original use the 0012 airfoil for the tail? I would have guessed something closer to a 0009.

Enlarging the fuselage should make more room for the retractable gear, which is very crowded in the Polen Special.

Your specs seem to infer travel at high altitudes. Do you plan on a permanently installed oxygen system?

BJC

9. Aug 6, 2017 #69

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

I'm not sure about the original tail surfaces. I picked the 0012 after reading Barnaby Wainfan's "Airfoil Selection" book. He mentioned that the 0009 and 0012 as good choices for tail surfaces but I didn't have any specific reason for picking the 0012 over the 0009.

I haven't thought about a permanent oxygen system but it seems like a good idea... not sure what the pros and cons are.

Mike

10. Aug 11, 2017 #70

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Pros: you'd be able to breathe longer without passing out when flying above 12k ft, good for long range flights.
    Cons: added weight, cost of used systems.
    DSCN9076A_600w.JPG

On such a nice and fast airplane, it would be wise to have a turbo charger for the engine and an oxygen system for the pilot.

11. Dec 17, 2017 #71

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

I finally had a chance to do some renders of version 5. I know the color pics aren't necessary at this point but it helps with visualizing the end goal and keeps me motivated.

I looked into built-in oxygen systems... It seems like a good idea but for the moment, will probably just go with a portable system.

I have some time off at the end of the year so will be spending some more time on this. Next up, I'd like to get the EAA/Solidworks installed and try importing my surface model (as a .obj format, I guess). I'd also like to do some modeling of the interior. More to follow soon.

Mike

Attached Files:

12. Apr 22, 2018 #72

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

mike_t_12

Hi All,

I made a little progress on the interior. Nothing final, just wanted to get an idea of size and space. I started to model some of the instruments but decided to stop for now. I've been working a lot of extra hours this year so I haven't been able to work on this as much as I'd like. I'm going to do a model of the landing gear next so I can do some renders while on the ground.

Mike

Attached Files:

13. Jul 20, 2019 #73

David Moxley

David Moxley

David Moxley

Here what I’m working on. Been working away at it finally,after several years of it being in storage! Making progress again. Will be coming out of jig soon.
    Dose anyone know the Whereabouts of the 2nd: special that Darrell Usher started?He sold it serval years ago I heard to a person in Arizona? The last I heard the project was sold to someone in California? I’m sure there’s someone out there that belongs to an EAA chapter that knows where it’s at ? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

delta, Bill-Higdon and Toobuilder like this.
  14. Jul 20, 2019 #74

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

Think Dick Keyt has the flyer down in Granbury, Texas. It is supposed to be under restoration.