Point me towards interesting concepts!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

copec

I love thinking about interesting concepts or thought experiments - although with my experience in other fields - I do understand the difference between a well developed and understood approach and wishful thinking.

I also really enjoy arbitrary debate to flush out true concerns.

The chance that I come up with an original idea when it comes to airplane/craft design is extremely low, yet I don't feel really solid that have a grasp of aviation on the web so I keep coming across totally arbitrary new things. Hence the source of my question.

For instance: It seems for the speeds and power we are talking about that that the spoilers in a sailplane could be substituted for an array of small ducted fans for self launch and sustaining. Has anyone seen where this concept has been studied?

Riggerrob

Glider only decrease lift while slowing the glider, so they produce less than zero thrust.
Most airliners have spoilers but they are only deployed after landing. Still, they are easy way to steepen glide when landing on short airstrips.

Riggerrob

If you want an “interesting concept” try developing a electric, firewall-forward, power-egg that can replace existing piston engines in the 40 to 100 horsepower range. If you mount batteries to the firewall, your power-egg could balance the same as piston-powered predecessors.

Riggerrob

Try the ISO 20 challenge.
The goal is to build a single-seat or two-seat airplane that can fold small
Enough to store in a corrugated steel shipping container 20 x 8 x 8 feet. The folding mechanism should be simple enough that you can unfold, pre-flight and take off within 20 minutes.

My ISO 20 challenge sketches include an asymmetric ultralight with the engine and tail boom displaced a yard to the left of the cockpit pod. The tail boom folds to lay along the trailing edge of the right wing. That was the only way I could think of reducing the cockpit pod length to less than 8 feet.

lr27

Anything fitting in the spoiler bays when retracted would be an awfully small set of ducted fans.

As far as the ISO 20, it might be hard to beat a Dyke Delta, except that it carries too many people. It seems conceivable that you might get two of them in there, but then they'd be hard to take out and fly.

John.Roo

Try the ISO 20 challenge.
The goal is to build a single-seat or two-seat airplane that can fold small
Enough to store in a corrugated steel shipping container 20 x 8 x 8 feet. The folding mechanism should be simple enough that you can unfold, pre-flight and take off within 20 minutes.

My ISO 20 challenge sketches include an asymmetric ultralight with the engine and tail boom displaced a yard to the left of the cockpit pod. The tail boom folds to lay along the trailing edge of the right wing. That was the only way I could think of reducing the cockpit pod length to less than 8 feet.
Sorry for OFFTOPIC - can you please post link with detailed rules of ISO 20 challenge?
I never heard about this and I like the idea :)

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
John.Roo, see ISO 20 container and Looking for an ISO 20’ container Flyer among other threads. Short version...your plane would need to fold to about 7' high x 7' wide x 18' long, call it 2.15 x 2.15 x 5.5 m to fit comfortably through the door and inside a standard 20' ISO intermodal shipping container. It's very doable for a single-seater but much more of a challenge for a two-seater, especially trying to keep the number of critical pins/bolts and control connections to an absolute minimum.

Last edited:

John.Roo

John.Roo, see ISO 20 container and Looking for an ISO 20’ container Flyer among other threads. Short version...your plane would need to fold to about 7' high x 7' wide x 18' long, call it 2.15 x 2.15 x 5.5 m to fit comfortably through the door and inside a standard 20' ISO intermodal shipping container. It's very doable for a single-seater but much more of a challenge for a two-seater, especially trying to keep the number of critical pins/bolts and control connections to an absolute minimum.
Thank you :)

Speedboat100

Mr Burt Rutan very succesfully experemented with several aeroplane concepts.

How come we don't have a new "Rutan" ?

TFF

Burt hit the crowd during his talk last Oshkosh with that question.

My personal answer was Burt never tried to make money. Everyone today will only do something for money. He ate pork n beans making the first EZ and Voyager because doing was more important than comfort. He ended up making money because he was good, but he did it the old school homebuilt way of doing it for love or duty to himself.

Speedboat100

I don't think the money making was really the issue. He just did not make it the main isuue.

His passion to research new concepts was admirtable....possibly a bit of an obsession too.

TFF

Watching Burt and Dick talk last year, you could tell they were a team. You could tell Dick was the parity check. Burt would design but Dick would say I’m not getting in it. Burt would fix what Dick thought were issues. Probably both were parity for each other.

Today most have to make a main business out of the work. They want a grand empire of aviation. They want to be Burt or Vans or nothing. Before it was part time or more like part of a mix. Wittman did not make his money selling plans; he made some. He mainly ran a flight school and had his patents and prize money from air racing. Pitts had a duster business, aircraft repair, flight school. The first Pitts was made from scrap when a tornado totaled all the flight school planes. The designer of the Acey Ducey was in the air force. Burt almost quit and opened a hobby shop. That was his fallback. All these people are Busy Bees that like to just work on problems that’s why they got their ideas out.