Point me towards interesting concepts!

Discussion in 'Soaring' started by copec, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mar 15, 2019 #1

copec

copec

copec

I love thinking about interesting concepts or thought experiments - although with my experience in other fields - I do understand the difference between a well developed and understood approach and wishful thinking.

I also really enjoy arbitrary debate to flush out true concerns.

The chance that I come up with an original idea when it comes to airplane/craft design is extremely low, yet I don't feel really solid that have a grasp of aviation on the web so I keep coming across totally arbitrary new things. Hence the source of my question.

For instance: It seems for the speeds and power we are talking about that that the spoilers in a sailplane could be substituted for an array of small ducted fans for self launch and sustaining. Has anyone seen where this concept has been studied?

2. Mar 15, 2019 #2

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Rummage through The Big Video Topic from start to end... you'll find a lot of interesting concepts and original ideas there. Probably best from end back towards start.

copec likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2019 #3

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Glider only decrease lift while slowing the glider, so they produce less than zero thrust.
    Most airliners have spoilers but they are only deployed after landing. Still, they are easy way to steepen glide when landing on short airstrips.

copec likes this.
  4. Mar 15, 2019 #4

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

If you want an “interesting concept” try developing a electric, firewall-forward, power-egg that can replace existing piston engines in the 40 to 100 horsepower range. If you mount batteries to the firewall, your power-egg could balance the same as piston-powered predecessors.

Victor Bravo and copec like this.
  5. Mar 15, 2019 #5

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Try the ISO 20 challenge.
    The goal is to build a single-seat or two-seat airplane that can fold small
    Enough to store in a corrugated steel shipping container 20 x 8 x 8 feet. The folding mechanism should be simple enough that you can unfold, pre-flight and take off within 20 minutes.

My ISO 20 challenge sketches include an asymmetric ultralight with the engine and tail boom displaced a yard to the left of the cockpit pod. The tail boom folds to lay along the trailing edge of the right wing. That was the only way I could think of reducing the cockpit pod length to less than 8 feet.

copec likes this.
  6. Mar 17, 2019 #6

lr27

lr27

lr27

Anything fitting in the spoiler bays when retracted would be an awfully small set of ducted fans.

As far as the ISO 20, it might be hard to beat a Dyke Delta, except that it carries too many people. It seems conceivable that you might get two of them in there, but then they'd be hard to take out and fly.