• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plywood vs Stck Ribs and When Are They Intercangeable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrochey

I notice that in many designs there is an option for using ribs made with plywood or the good old stick rib types... I opt for anything more efficient to build and with my router table have made many forms very quickly, guitar molds and other things... so my question is, is it always acceptable to make plywood with lightening holes instead of those labor intensive stick ribs if they are the same in every other way? Or is it only sometimes that you can go either route? A case in point, the HM 295 ribs... can you safely and efficiently use plywood wing ribs? I know the rudder ribs are 6 mm X 12 mm spruce sticks covered with a ply web... (I know the web and a singular ply rib is not the same thing) why not a similar wing ribs? Is it weight? What? And if you can do either how do you calculate ply thickness, curious minds want to know... thanks

This

fleawing1.jpg

Or this (if no why not?)

fleawing2.jpeg

Back