Plywood suppliers???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
The website says they are a plywood manufacturer and sell to ukulele manufacturers. Minor detail perhaps, but most manufacturers don't sell direct to individuals for liability and other reasons.
That airplane looks like a ukulete to me. :)
Hard to run a successful business when you turn costumers away. I do not wish them good luck.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
If they don't sell retail (as stated in previous post) then get over it.
Sure, it should have said that in the website but most don't.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
You're missing the point BBerson.....and I'm not trying to be mean spirited when I write this example for you,so take that into consideration as you read.
Let's say that you took the time and read through all of the literature on the homebuiltairplanes.com website and decided they had what you've been searching for.
You even filled out the long inquiry page and submitted it with all of your personal information....address,phone,email,what you're looking for...etc.
The moderator replies back inquiring about a more detailed description of what your looking for in a message group.
So you take the time to fill out the requested information in more detail this time and submit it again.
Now the moderator replies back that you need to join a yahoo group for your wants/needs because he doesn't offer discussion groups to individuals working on aircraft,even though his website is named homebuiltairplanes.com and he clearly allows particular entity's to use the available resources.
I guess you should just "get over it" though.......

That complacent attitude is the exact reason the country is in such a state of disarray......you except the fact that they have a misleading website and are prejudice towards the hand that is feeding them.
I still stand by my original statement.....if I do end up ordering from Wicks or ACS,I will make it perfectly clear that I do not want any of their products in my order unless it absolutely cannot be avoided !!!
It's my money and I have the choice as to who gets it.....I will not support a company that misleads people after collecting their information !!!

Once again,please remember that I'm not trying to be mean spirited with this post....I was merely giving a relative example pertaining to the company that I just tried to give money to...

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So,it seems we've gotten a bit off track with the thread.....
Does anyone know where to get aircraft grade plywood other than Wicks or ACS ????

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I really dont have an issue dealing with Wicks.....I just dislike the thought of spending $200-$250 dollars for shipping.
I realize that everyone has to make money to stay in business but that seems a bit much to ship material from a company that ships as much as they do...I would think the trucking company would cut them some slack due to the volume they ship.
Worse case scenerio....they are about 5 hours from me so I have the option of picking the material up myself....but I would have to crunch the numbers for fuel and time off work,it might actually be cheaper to bite the bullet on their shipping.

ACS is another story all together......I tried for over a month with numerous phone calls to get an order assembled and then get a final price for materials and shipping.
Each time that I called I was told that they hadn't taken the time to calculate my order/or was told that their guy in the shop that handles shipping was off.....this guy must be family because he never shows up and still has a job.
I never could get a final price for materials and shipping.
The girl basically told me to just pay whatever they decided to charge me......but she didnt know how much that would be.
Very poor service,phone people are borderline rude when asked to give a direct answer to a question,they act like they have no knowledge of the products they are selling and wont transfer you to someone that does have the knowledge of the product you're trying to purchase...........just a very piss poor company and I will never spend a dime with them.
Funny thing is....at an EAA meeting I was asked how my order with ACS was coming along,I just rolled my eyes and shook my head while saying nothing,the response I got was several people laughing and saying that they were betting on how long it would take me to give up on ACS because they are a horrible company to deal with.......evidently,somebody won $20 out of the ordeal.......they actually took bets because they knew !!!
What does that say about a company when people actually take bets on them because they have already had a bad experience with that company ?!

Kevin

BJC

HBA Supporter
The availability of parts, materials and information for homebuilt aircraft is better today than at any other time in history, in large part due to ACS&S.

Not saying that they are perfect, but they are there, and my experience with them (mostly the Georgia store) has been excellent.

BJC

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm glad that you've had a good experience with them.....unfortunately,myself and several others that I know have not had the same experience.

Kevin

Pops

Log Member
ACS -- Maybe 2 out of 20 orders would be correct IF order phoned in. I usually give up on trying to get the order straighten up. Order by computer and payed by Pal-pal has been good with very little mistakes.
Alexandra Airparts couldn't have been better. We had a business account with Alexandra for a long time. In all of those years, never had one problem. My wife took care of that end of the business. Our account would go to several thousand of dollars in the black to several thousand in the red and back and forth and the shipment of parts never stopped. When ACS bought Alexandra that ended and problems started. I got to meet Ron Alexandra one time and thanked him for being such a good business man.

When I first started ordering from Wicks, it was Wicks Organ.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What price would you consider fair for shipping?

$200 to ship is pretty cheap when compared to the cost you'll have in a entire project that spans multiple years. It seems like the least of all the problems would be that one time charge.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm not quite sure how to answer your question without coming off as snarky.......but I'll try.
Ounces =pounds
Minutes =hours
$ = a completed project or an abandoned project.
I realize that the shipping company needs to make money to stay in business and I have no problem with that.
My issue comes from the fact that I'm going to spend $200-$300 to ship one sheet of plywood or my entire order of plywood.
So to take the $ hit $ only one time then I need to put a full order in which will run about $1,200-$1,300 plus the $200-$300 for shipping.....that hurts.
Or I can break the orders up as I need the material and end up paying as much for shipping as the material that I'm using in the end..but doing it over time.
That $200-$300 could be used for wheels & tires,covering,engine instruments......etc.
Being frugal with your $$$ helps finish projects....$100 here,$200 dollars there might eventually = an unfinished project if not kept in check.
It's easy for someone to make a comment about the cost of materials/shipping in a project when they are not footing the bill themselves.
If,at any time,someone wants to foot the $ bill $ for the shipping of my material I would graciously accept...I have my materials list waiting.....

Kevin

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator
HBA Supporter
Log Member
How much would it cost to grow the wood yourself, then veneer it, then make it into plywood, then ship it to you?

Last edited:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
It might be possible to roll up thin sheets and ship UPS in a 4' cardboard box.
Several thin sheets could be laminated into one thick sheet.
Or order 2'x4' sheets and splice butt-ended with gusset strips like Strojnic did with wide ribs.

Aerowerx

How much would it cost to grow the wood yourself, then veneer it, then make it into plywood, then ship it to you?
Probably not that much for the raw stock, if you already have the land. Harvesting and processing would be the expensive part

However it might increase your build time by a few hundred years. Do you really think your gg-grandson will want to build a wood airplane?

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Will his great,great grandson want to build a wooden aircraft???
Two things.......
1. Why does it have to be a grandson?
He may quite possibly have a great,great granddaughter that loves aircraft.
The PC police would be all over you for that question but out of good faith we will let you slide this time....lol
2. Do you think a wooden aircraft would fly in the Mars atmosphere or where ever else we have reached in a few hundred years ? Who's to say that his future descendant will be on Terra Firma........

Kevin

DaleB

How perfectly timed this discussion is! Not only am I looking to source some aircraft plywood, I need it in 60" sheets. My spar webs are specified as cross-grain plywood, 60" long. Of course neither Aircraft Spruce nor Wicks carries it that size, and you can't get that from a 4' x 8' sheet.

What price would you consider fair for shipping?

$200 to ship is pretty cheap when compared to the cost you'll have in a entire project that spans multiple years. It seems like the least of all the problems would be that one time charge.
I contacted the place in Canada mentioned earlier. The price quoted on the plywood itself was quite reasonable. I told them it was OK to cut the sheets in half or quarters as long as I got 60" long pieces. I don't know how they were planning to ship, but I suspect it involved a private courier with a very large briefcase handcuffed to his wrist. The crating and shipping they quoted exceeded $500 (US) for two, 60x60 sheets of plywood that weigh less than 20#. It was over twice the cost of the plywood itself. I'll definitely be checking with the other sources mentioned here.

Group Builder