Quantcast

Plywood suppliers???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Is there anyplace that can supply aircraft grade plywood other than Wicks and ACS ???
I find it hard to believe that these are the only 2 companies in the country that can supply plywood for aircraft use.
I've been searching the internet for a few days but haven't found another supplier.......

Kevin

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Go to local lumber yards ask them if they have or can order clear baltic birtch. Get the glue specs from the AC i cant remember but outdoor use is what you want. You know it is the right stuff as it will come in 5ft by 5ft sheets. I ordered a couple of sheets from ACS and got some of the local baltic birtch for a fraction of the price. I took a couple of scraps of each and tortured them the local stuff did just as well as the ACS.

TFF

Just make sure they don't try and sell you veneer facing ply. It is the same thickness as what we use but is not structural. A friend showed up with some and I told him no; not the same. My friend did not know what to look for; he is one that it is better to buy from wicks or ACS for known quality.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So here is the point that I start getting confused trying to find plywood....
TFF just said to not use "veneer facing plywood".
Here's an example of what I can find locally but with his statement this ply wouldn't work if I understand his comment correctly.
Here's the specs that are listed for the product from Menards:
1. 4x8 sheet 1/4 thick
2.All plies are Baltic birch
3. Core material is veneer
4. Extra thick sanded face veneer
5. Grade BB/CP
6. 5 ply

It doesn't state the glue type or grain orientation of the ply's....I need 90° ply.

Kevin

FritzW

Log Member
Is there anyplace that can supply aircraft grade plywood other than...
If by "aircraft grade plywood" you mean "aircraft grade plywood"... you can buy direct from Aircraft Plywood Mfg Inc. They're about 250 miles west of you in Highland, Il.

I think all the domestic Birch and Mahogany aircraft plywood (MIL-P-6070) at Wicks and AS&S comes from them.

lr27

Is there any info stamped on the stuff from Menard's?

TFF

Last year on the way home from Oshkosh I stopped at a Menards to see what everybody was saying was good stuff. Pretty much the same junk I see in stores around here. Maybe different stores have different stock, but I saw nothing close to aircraft grade. Asking got a "special order" only, which is just as expensive as buying from ACS. Disappointed.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I sent a message to them yesterday,FritzW,but dont expect to here back from them for a while because of the holiday.
Unfortunately,they dont list any prices on their site.

I haven't been to Menards personally,its about an hour drive across the bridge in Indiana,so I cant say what info is stamped on it.
I've tried calling there before but always get the minimum wage person that doesn't care to actually help out with finding information,they've actually just hung the phone up twice after leaving it laying for a while.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
That's pretty much what I'm expecting too....I've been to all of the local stores that claim to have "Top Selection " of wood and it's nothing but twisted and knotted junk.
I've told several of them that they should absolutely be ashamed of themselves for false advertising and trying to pawn off junk products as being top quality.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I spoke too soon....
Jerome from Aircraftplywood.com just emailed me asking for my list of materials that I require.
Working on a sunday.......I like this company already !!!

Kevin

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
By local lumber yard i dont mean Menards i mean a local yard run by someone who knows wood. A local yard here ordered 1/8 and 1/4 inch ply and it didnt cost much. It also came in 5x5 sheets. Which ment for my project i didnt need to splice

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
The problem I have is that I need a few 4x8 sheets and the shipping is more than the material..

I'm in Kentucky.....they dont understand the word " quality" and nobody knows anything about anything.....mindless drones in this state !!!

FritzW

Log Member
The problem I have is that I need a few 4x8 sheets and the shipping is more than the material..

I'm in Kentucky.....they dont understand the word " quality" and nobody knows anything about anything.....mindless drones in this state !!!
Count your blessings, you live in the Bourbon capital of the world. If I want good Bourbon I have to make it myself :gig:

A 500 mile round trip might might be worth it to save the shipping cost. I guess it depends on where you live (traffic hassle etc), but if I lived 250 miles from Aircraft Plywood Inc., I'd be jumping in the pickup.

We have the same problem with quality wood in New Mexico (especially southern NM). There's no demand so there's no supply.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Here's the twisted joke to your statement FritzW.......yes,this is the Bourbon capital of the world evidently....BUT I DON'T DRINK.....lmao

FritzW

Log Member
Your a wise man Kevin.

My whiskey making hobby has cost me about as much as my CNC hobby. With my CNC machine I can crank out a wing in about two days but it takes me 3 years to make a quart of good Bourbon. :roll:

lr27

snip
Something tells me you're exaggerating slightly. After all, you live there, don't you? Or are you trying to tell us something? ;-p

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Yep,I live here but not by choice.....I wasn't born here and I've lived all over the world.
7-25-2026 I'm un-assing this God forsaken state and it's going to look like a roadrunner cartoon when I do...cloud of dust behind me !!!!
You do realize that the Toothbrush was invented here,right???
If it was invented anywhere else it would have been named a TEETHbrush........true story !!!
The only thing they care about in this state is alcohol and horses.
Its next to impossible to find anyone knowledgable about anything in this state.....I generally shoot across the Indiana bridge that is about 10 minutes from my house and I have much better luck getting things done over there.....sad but true.

Kevin