• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plywood compound curves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Splitting this out from the acrylics thread...

That is sometimes done, too. My Taylor had a compund curve at the sides of the cockpit. That ply will do some amazing things If you get it soggy enough.

Dan, can you suggest any sources on methods for soaking and bending the plywood (or relate your own experiences)? I've been looking for boat building sources on the topic with little luck--they seem to suggest dry bending as you mentioned, but hulls don't have as much compound curvature as a fuselage.

In particular, I'm wondering if the soaked plywood needs to be clamped to the frame and allowed to dry in its new shape, then epoxied in place after it's dry? My project is something like a Midget Mustang, built like a Falco. Likely the fuselage will be 2.0mm ply, maybe 2.5mm in some critical areas. I just don't have a feel for how much double curvature it will accept. One book suggested that a 1:12 model could give a good idea what the plywood will do, using plywood that is 1/5 actual thickness. (I have no idea how the author came up with one-fifth thickness on a 1:12 model other than his own experience.)

Thanks in advance for any guidance you could offer.

Back