Please PLEASE somebody give me the word !

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
When I say float plane everybody knows exactly what I’m talking about. It can be either straight floats or amphibian floats but they know whatConfiguration I’m talking about.
If I say seaplane it includes everything
To say hull type seaplane is just well just unruly !
If I say flying boat people wanna correct me that I should say amphibian if it’s a retractable. Others will tell me that flying boats include float plane because they float!
But if I say amphibian people assume that it’s a float plane !
So can someone give me 4 words.
A A float plane on str floats
B A float plane on amphibian floats
C A flying boat without wheels
D A flying boat with retractable wheels.

TFF

Flying boat is as close as you will come. It’s not the nineteenth thirties, so use is more important than floatation in vernacular. Anything smaller than a Grumman Widgeon, no one is paying attention to that exact term.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
file:///C:/Users/TEST/Desktop/SUPER%20AIRPLANE/Small%20Modern%20Flying%20Boats%20-%20compiled%20by%20FlyingBoats.ca.pdf

davidb

It’s only a mouthful if you try to take it in one bite. It’s an airplane. Want to know more? It can land on water so we call it a flying boat. Want to know even more? It has retractable wheels which enables it to operate on land too so it is amphibious. It has a boat hull rather than pontoon floats.

If you are talking to someone who knows about airplanes, you simply say it’s an boat hull amphib.

“Amphib flying boat” is only three words. Hardly a mouthful, but I have a big mouth.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
My two cents:
  • Floatplane or seaplane or even float seaplane all seem to be interchangeable for a landplane with added floats.
  • Flying boat or hull seaplane are used when the fuselage is the part that floats.
  • Amphibian usually means a flying boat with retractable wheels, and float amphibian or amphibious seaplane/floatplane means the other kind.
And here is a minute of silent footage of the Shavrov Sh-2 just because I think it's cool. ;-)

don january

Log Member
How about "Water launched aircraft" because that is what it boils down to unless of course you have wheels like the above pictures. Then what a whole new breed is born that needs a name??

Aesquire

If the fuselage is what it floats on, it's a flying boat. Add retractable wheels, it's an Amphibious Flying Boat. Which is also a seaplane.

If it's floating on separate floats, it's a float plane. Which is also a seaplane.

If it's floating in multiple pieces, it's a crash.

Retractable hull flying boats were experimented with. Blackburn B-20 - Wikipedia If you want to argue that's a retractable float plane, feel free but either could be "right".

I classify the Sea Dart as a flying boat.

So is the SR.A/1.