Quantcast

please Help..Unknown manufacturer

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

tcarroll

I have a parasol winged ultralight that I have bought, the person I bought it from got it in Arkansas at an estate sale the original owner had passed away so I have no history. It is Parasol wing, square aluminum tube (keel tube) from engine mount to the vertical stabilizer attach point, 1" round tube main gear w/no suspension, it has a nice factory made cowling, the wings are sail cloth covered, slip in top ribs only, 2" front and rear spars that are tripled to the strut attach and doubled to the wingtip, all connection points, attach points are constructed of U brackets w/ plastic spacers and saddles, all formed tubing is factory bent, it has a nylon sling type seat, heel brakes.

If anyone can help identify it would be greatly appreciated, I want to put this airplane together, but I would like to have something to go by for the critical items like speeds, weights, etc

Thanksimage.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Tiger Tim

Whatever it is, it looks like the design is pretty unique and I'm a little surprised nobody has ID'ed it yet. Do you have the tail feathers to show, sometimes that can help jog the memory.

Also, as with so many other 'what is it' UL posts here, it looks to have had a bunch of tubes replaced which hints at a crash in its past. I would take a good look around everything to make sure nothing else is bent or cracked, including the bolts that hold it all together.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The root tube mount looks a bit like the Texas Parasol, but there are features here that don't quite match the TP too, so it's still a mystery.

tcarroll

I will gather up some pics of the tail feathers and post them, as far as the different colored tubes being a result of a crash I do not know, I have since these pics were taken done a lot of rebuilding
it is now to the point of wing covering, which I hope to start on this week (I am an active A&P so time is hard to come up with) anyways since these pics, modifications include tubular ribs top / bottom, reinforced tail feathers, more cables in stressed areas, new tail spring and wheel, push pull on ailerons, etc,etc. and there is a soon to be modified Generac sitting in front of it, hopefully I can get some idea of what it is before test flight day....

thanks guys for the opinions,
Tcarroll

tcarroll

image.jpgimage_3.jpgimage_5.jpgHere are tail feather pics, sorry about the side ways pics ..taken from my Iphone,
I added the ribs, and the elevator horn opening in the rudder the rest is original,
notice the aluminum "spine"

Raceair

There was a company in Piggot?, Arkansas, the man was 'Bobby Baker' I believe, and his parasol was called 'Bearcat'….This looks similar to that design……Ed

bmcj

HBA Supporter
There was a company in Piggot?, Arkansas, the man was 'Bobby Baker' I believe, and his parasol was called 'Bearcat'….This looks similar to that design……Ed
Yes, Bobby Baker was from Piggott Arkansas. He was old friend of mine... we used to fly RC planes together before he got into full sized planes. I think he called his company First Strike, and was best known for his BobCat (like a mini Pawnee/AgCat). I'm not aware of any parasols from Bobby, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Bill-Higdon

I'd suggest contacting Scott Perkins @ 2scott@bellsouth.net . He probably knows more about Ultralights than anyone else.
Bill

I have a parasol winged ultralight that I have bought, the person I bought it from got it in Arkansas at an estate sale the original owner had passed away so I have no history. It is Parasol wing, square aluminum tube (keel tube) from engine mount to the vertical stabilizer attach point, 1" round tube main gear w/no suspension, it has a nice factory made cowling, the wings are sail cloth covered, slip in top ribs only, 2" front and rear spars that are tripled to the strut attach and doubled to the wingtip, all connection points, attach points are constructed of U brackets w/ plastic spacers and saddles, all formed tubing is factory bent, it has a nylon sling type seat, heel brakes.

If anyone can help identify it would be greatly appreciated, I want to put this airplane together, but I would like to have something to go by for the critical items like speeds, weights, etc

ThanksView attachment 46109View attachment 46110View attachment 46111