• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Please criticize my microlight multiengine design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xanadrone

_1.jpgScan_05_04_2013.jpg_2.jpg

Hello again from Romania, dear HBA expert fellows! After an year of unvoluntary absence (health problems, motorbike accident – not only birds are crashing, that’s clear :) ) , I’m coming back with a 3-view preliminary plan for a 3-surface microlight. I know it's not fancy shiny 3-D stuff, but I hope it's enough for a simple evaluation.

It would be a… some kind of hybrid quadrimotor using 2 RC-plane-gas engines (front) and 2 E-motors for take-off push-supplement (back, with folding propellers.)
- Size: cca 13 ft (3,90 m) long, 17 ft (5,20 m) span.
- Total wing surface: 4,44 mp = 47.80 sq.ft. (a little more than a Cri-Cri anyway)
- Not too big split-flaps, but NO ailerons (thinking about mixing the canard ant tail-surfaces for replacing somehow partially the ailerons – opinions?)
- Tricycle landing gear (front – semiretractable.)
- Empty weight: cca. 80 kg (without packs of 8,4 Ah-39.9 V batteries each – LiFePO4 - NOT Lipoly… AND very small generator – gas 4 stroke, 1 kW - for in-flight recharge)
- MTOW = 190 kg (cca. 420 lbs)
- Power: variants - from a minimum of 30 HP total (2x10 + 2x5 HP) to something almost double – I think cca. 2x15 + 2x7,5 HP = 45 HP total would be ideal for a swift plane.

I’ll be back with other details, but for the moment I’d really appreciate your valuable initial feedback. More simply put: is it worth pursuing this idea? (please don't ask me about construction-type option, because I'm really not aware yet of the amount of money involved in such a project - under 10K euros anyway, I think too optimistically maybe.)

Thanks in advance, cheers
Florin

Back