• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plastic layers between foam ribs and carbon for removing foam for extra lightness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoFairing

I just came up with an idea for removing the foam ribs in a composite mold for increased lightness.

Step
1) Layup 1. Carbon fiber(s) layer (vacuum bag).
2) Plastic layer.
3) Foam rib, clay, whatever needed to get the desired shape.
4) Plastic layer.
5) Layup 2. Carbon fiber(s) layer (vacuum bag).
6) Open plastic section, remove rib material.
7) Glue back together for completed part.

This method could also be used for creating two oddly shaped parts that closely fit together.

I'll be using this method to reinforce a body molded seat and for attaching components to that seat.

I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this idea.

Does anyone have more information on this method or similar?

Back