Plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jman

Site Developer
Craig,

Sorry, yes I did get them! They came while I was in Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE) training the week before last. I was gone for a week out in the boondocks evading and surviving on the land. Quite and experience but I'm glad that's over!

Now I'm in the middle of prepping for our move to Ft. Drum NY which will come around the 1st of February. **(oh yeah, by the way everyone - I'm moving to upstate NY!!)** Most everything, including emails and such, has taken a bit of a back seat this last week. I really do appreciate you sending them - They look great. After I get a chance to clear my mind and sit down with them I'm sure I'll have some questions. Thanks again!

Jake

Craig

SERE, etc.

Jake, I did SERE out at Yuma MCAS - like a hell week!

Glad to hear that you are moving back to civilization, even tho it is to the frozen north. Although I have a control labelled "Cabin Heat" in my cockpit, it currently isn't connected to anything. Guess if I go to visit, I'd really have to hook it to something that warms my toes.

Get busy on that Piet - lots of parts/pieces that you can make anywhere, like cutting all the rib pieces, making gussets, etc. Start with geting enough 6' pieces of spruce rib stock - they can be stored anywhere, as well as the pieces that you cut. First thing to build would be a rib jig, unless you can borrow the one on the Piet forum.

Keep in touch -

Jman

Site Developer
Semper fi, do or die right? Very cool.

The piet is my first priority once I reach NY. We have a line on a place with a 3.5 stall garage and I plan on putting it to very good use. I may save the wing ribs for my deployment to Iraq, which I know is coming no later than 1.5 years from now. I can have the wood and glue sent and I can make the jig there. Probably do the empennage pieces over there too. In my previous experience being deployed, they have had a pretty good shipping system so I should be able to get the parts back no problem. At least it wouldn't be a wasted 12 - 18 months.

Jake

Craig

Deployment

It would be nice if the mid-East thing were over within 18 months, but I doubt it. Still doing worthwhile work there, but at such a cost!

While deployed with VA-95 on Intrepid in the Gulf of Tonkin, I built a 1/4 scale Chipmunk. Pretty good size! All mail was free, and the shipper just had to get stuff to FPO San Francisco. Not quite the same as a Piet, tho . . .

Let me know if there are hardware parts, etc., that you need. And William Wynne is just up the coast a bit. Good guy!

My partner is still delaying the DAR inspection, and since he is paying for it, there's not too much I can do. Working a lot of the race car - we have National races at Sebring (SEF) the weekend after New Year's. Got the engine all together, and in the car, but apparently the cam timing is off, and I have to pull it again. Since they put the pin in my finger, I haven't been able to do too much witht he left hand, which is the one I turn wrenches with. Probably get the girlfriend over New Year weekend and direct her efforts. I have probably bent half the 20 valves since the cam is wrong - no compression!
Wish AX-O would find out something about that GSX-R engine his buddy has . . .

Best of Holiday Cheer to you and Mrs. C. - and any potential little C's that may be about!!!