Quantcast

Plans/Kits for aircraft like the Monocoupe 90

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Turd Ferguson

There's enough data floating around where you could build a Monocoupe replica from scratch, although you may want to choose something like a 90AL to make it easier (and cheaper) to find an engine.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There is a soft spot in my heart for the Monocoupe 90. My first model airplane was a Cleveland Kit of the Monocoupe 90 with a 32" wingspan when I was 8 years old.
I also was at an airshow when I was 15 years old and got to talk to the pilot of the Monocoupe just after his routine. The Monocoupe hanging up at the Smithsonian.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
My neighbor has one... plane, not plans. It has a huge one-piece wing. Definitely a challenge to move while disassembled.

Tiger Tim

My neighbor has one... plane, not plans. It has a huge one-piece wing. Definitely a challenge to move while disassembled.
And so much wood in that steel tube fuselage. Including full-length curved plywood caps over the longerons, IIRC.

TFF

Aviat tried to sell flying ones. Not one sold. There was one at the airport and it was cool. The one Pops saw fly, I have only seen hang, had a Warner 145 I believe. A little more peppy than a 90. One of the prettiest. I think people have built homebuilt ones in the Monocoupe club. You are not going to ding traditional homebuilt drawings. You will get production drawing bits and some head tucking in flying planes to build one.

Derswede

Pop, it may have been Johnny Livingston in N36Y or John Gibson. The McCullocoupe was inspired by N36Y, and John Gibson. There were only 7 Clipwings built by the factory. Twitchy was the understatement of the week considering the handling of the Clipwing. The 90A was much nicer to fly, as was the D-145. Loved our D-145, we had N11733. There are several coupes out there with "Flat engines", I think the radial really "makes" the look. The Teal is the bird painted on most "Coupes," it is a slick and fast flying bird, considered agile.

The Kimballs and Harman Dickerson, along with Red Larille and my late father, were the guys who really knew those airplanes. A good page to go to for info on Monocoupes is Red Lerille’s Monocoupes.

Derswede

Derswede

Most of the bigger coupes had 185 Warner Super Scarab engines fitted. our bird, N15E, was quite the rocket on takeoff. Of course, finding a 185 Warner is probably on par with finding a running OXX-6 or similar. The Warner most commonly found today is a Tank engine, the crank is too short to properly swing a prop when faired properly. Several of those have popped up on market at nose bleed prices. That is why there is a project going to build new Warner 185's.

BJC

HBA Supporter
That is why there is a project going to build new Warner 185's.
What is the status of that effort? Since I haven’t heard anything about it recently, I guessed that it was dead.

BJC

Edit: I would love to have a Warner powered Jungmeister, a la Bevo Howard’s.

Derswede

"For more information contact Monocoupe Aeroplane Corporation 10181 Jonestown Road Grantville, PA, 844-FLY-ACW2 (359-2292) or contact@monocoupe.com"

I tried my brother, he keeps up with those folks, may get some info tomorrow. Bevo Howard was quite a guy, he and my father were friends. Bevo's son and I swapped some emails aways back, he may be on this board now.

I tried to buy a couple of Jungmeisters a few years ago, they were using them in Chile for military flight training. Never could convince that General that he would be better served by something newer. They had about 25 or so in flying condition. Need to go back and try again!

Derswede

Mcmark

Don’t hold your breathe on that crew in PA. I’ve had dealings with them. Not good.

Victor Bravo

1) The ones that Bucker-Funk are offering in Germany are not originals either. Their website shows aphoto of an R/C model.
2) I could afford an aluminum T&G kit, I can probably never afford an original Bucker
3) Some of us are not welders
4) Most of us cannot properly care for, or afford, an original Siemens radial engine., or an original Warner
5) I said a tube and gusset Jungmeister, not a sheet metal Jungmeister. The fabric would drape over the same stringers.

Derswede

We had one guy that knew Warners. He worked at Piedmont Services, part of the old Piedmont back when Tom Davis was alive and a force to be reckoned with. Foy Owens was the only guy my father let touch our Warners. He did P & W's for Piedmont, and was THE radial guy at Piedmont. I doubt that anyone today could do as well as Foy. A good reason to pass such knowledge on to younger folks, if that is even possible today. Just had a guy who today said, "Why learn how to drive a straight drive? No one uses them anymore!" Glad I still have manual transmissions and old stovebolt engines. Ya can't do everything on a computer, no matter what some may think.

Foy trained me on engine rebuilding when we bought a Luscombe. Had to rebuild the Conti 85, I learned quite a bit, esp.on "What NOT TO DO!!"

Derswede