Wanted Plans for Rocky Mountain Wings "Ridge Runner" UL/LSA Aircraft

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Victor Bravo, Nov 6, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2019 #1

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I have just purchased a Ridge Runner 1, mostly built and covered, and in reasonable shape. "Minor project" status, going through everything, major cleanup and inspection, etc.

Like so many "estate sale" deals, I got a great price and not a freakin' scrap of paperwork.I would loike very much to beg, borrow, purchase, or get a copy of the plans and instructions for this aircraft, so I can figure out how to assemble and balance it, what parts go where, be an educated owner, etc.

The original Avid Flyer begat the Kitfox, and then two Kitfox employees (the Schrader bros.) built kits for a single place version called Sky Raider, and then one of the brothers (Stace Schrader) broke off and sold a very similar single place kit called the Ridge Runner. That's what I got. But the company apparently no longer exists.

So anyone who can lay hands on a set of plans, instructions, or documentation for this airplane please contact me via PM, thank you.

BoKu likes this.
  2. Nov 6, 2019 #2

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

I have the Raven/Mohawk "plans" - copy of an early Avid. PM in interested

3. Nov 6, 2019 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Thank you, I may take you up on that if I cannot find the specific ones for this AC.

4. Nov 8, 2019 #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

New Development for anyone interested in tis particular type of cute little off-road machine.

I have established contact with a fellow who is very experienced with this type of aircraft, and who was there on the scene when these were all being designed, built, brothers fighting brothers, etc.

Based on the few photos I have thus far, he was able to identify that my new purchase is a Ridge Runner 2, not a Model 1.

This is really good news, because the early original Model 1 was a somewhat humorous attempt to meet Part 103 weight (the joke was on the aircraft owner, it was just about impossible to get anywhere close), and the structure was far less robust.

In my position as Vice Pesident of Corpulence here at Obesity Industries, it occurred to me that flying around in an airplane with 170 pound max pilot weight was not an attractive proposition. We do get gusts and bumps out here in the Mojave Desert.

So the good news is that the Ridge Runner 2 was a very humorous 2 seater, where you could have two people in very very very tight quarters (rear occupant essentially piggy-back behind the front seater). The designers added structure and wall thickness to many of the tubes, and so apparently I have something that will likely have a 325-375 lb. empty weight and an 800-900 pound gross.

Most importantly, I have already located the attachment bolt for the nosegear, and I have already cleaned and polished the wrench... with which that bolt will be removed... upon the aircraft's arrival at my shop :)

RidgeRunner 1.jpg
    RidgeRunner 5.jpg

[​IMG]

FritzW likes this.
  5. Nov 8, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Their smiles say it all.

Hope this one will do what you want.

6. Nov 8, 2019 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Its a 503 DCDI engine, which would be OK for out in the desert, but I have 5 miled of solid city between my airport and open country. So I would be very much looking to find a 4 stroke engine for it. An 80 HP 912 would be pretty neat, and I may have a line on one. The good news is it will fold up and fit in the hangar under the wing of my old 172. That's a major deal here, hangar rents $400 and up, having two hangars wold be hazardous to my health!.

7. Nov 8, 2019 #7

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

As CDO (Chief Doughnut Officer) I feel confident in saying you and I will never fly together in the Ridge Runner.

About 100 years ago I saw a Ridge Runner at Copper State that had Storch inspired cabin windows, ...it looked cool and would probably be handy if you live in a cold climate.

Why are you removing the nose gear bolt? ...to move the nose gear to the back where it belongs? ...I hope

8. Nov 9, 2019 #8

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Oh yeah, remove the nose gear post haste, but there's even more to this wretched story :) This Ridge Runner has a tailwheel too... of sorts. Somebody put some sort of a shopping cart caster on the back, instead of a tail skid. But it ain't a proper steerable tailwheel.

So it has a nosewheel, and it has a tailwheel, and I'm removing both of them with great prejudice :)

RidgeRunner 4.jpg

akwrencher likes this.
  9. Nov 9, 2019 #9

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I'm guessing these are the mounts for the gear? It would be criminal if the front mounts didn't fit the same gear legs as the rear ones.
    Untitled.jpg

10. Nov 9, 2019 #10

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I believe they will fit, and yes those are "multi-mounts" for nosegear, tailwheel, or floats. If they didn't fit the gear that's on it, then I'd modify the existing set or have a new gear set welded up. Or maybe I'd call Robbie Grove :)

11. Nov 9, 2019 #11

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Nuts to Butts...

12. Nov 11, 2019 #12

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I just spent some quality time on the phone speaking with Troy Woodland of Just Aircraft. He had some personal knowledge related to these aircraft, and his memories were able to answer a few of my questions.

The reason I'm posting this is to say that Troy was very kind in the amount of time and energy he put into answering my questions, and trying to help me figure out these mysteries. Seems like a first class guy.

Helping me is not going to put any money in his hands, but he did it because a bunch of 15 or 20 year-ago ancient history he had in his head would be of some value to me... it's nice to know we have people like this in the E-AB world.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    MadProfessor8138 and FritzW like this.