• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

PLANS: digital or paper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcj

Supporting Member
How do you like to buy your plans, rolled paper or digital download?

Up front, paper kinks, tears, shrinks, discolors, fades, takes up space, costs more to ship, etc. Digital plans (theoretically) last forever, but can become corrupted, inoperable due to software upgrades, may not scale properly to the printer, may be bigger than your available printer format, etc.

I like paper plans for several reasons:

1. Tactile... I love the feel and smell of paper media (unless the cat has peed on them).

2. More fun and easier to browse at in a large group.

3. I hate staring at a screen.

4. The BIGGIE - I know where every single set of paper plans I’ve bought are, and I can put my hand on them quickly. I’m not sure if I could find any of my digital plans at the moment... or ever. Were they on a disc? Where is that disc? Maybe on a USB thumb drive? Which computer was it downloaded to? What folder is it in? What was the name of that file? What was the password for that file or storage media?

5. How’re those plans on that 5.25 inch floppy drive working out for you?

I'm interested to hear your opinions and other aspects I may have missed.

Back