Quantcast

plans build amphibious aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jany77

Hi all is there any other amphibious aircraft you can build from plans besides the vj-22 ,osprey 1 and 2 and kingfisher ,i would be interested in single seat or light sport two seat plans
Also years ago someone was offering plans for all wood floats ,which were used on minimax in Canada but looks like they are no longer available ,thank you

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Molt Taylor's Coot can be built from plans, but it is much bigger than an LSA

I recall a very simple airplane that used a flat-bottom hull for the fuselage and had some sort of novel wing arrangement on top (a Kasperwing?). It wasn't much more than a jon boat with a pivoting wing on top, IIRC. Maybe someone here will know more.

Last edited:

Wind&Water

If you’re only looking interested in LSA then I would go the Zenith Aircraft route: 750, 701 or even the 650 XL on a set of Zenith amphibious floats. All can be built from plans.

Riggerrob

Molt Taylor's Coot can be built from plans, but it is much bigger than an LSA

I recall a very simple airplane that used a flat-bottom hull for the fuselage and had some sort of novel wing arrangement on top (a Kasperwing?). It wasn't much more than a jon boat with a pivoting wing on top, IIRC. Maybe someone here will know more.
Dear Vigilant1,
You are thinking of the Spratt Control Wing flying boat. At least 4 were built and flown. Construction drawings are accessible at:
www.speleotrove/wings/files/control-plans-part1.pdf.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Dear Vigilant1,
You are thinking of the Spratt Control Wing flying boat. At least 4 were built and flown. Construction drawings are accessible at:
www.speleotrove/wings/files/control-plans-part1.pdf.
Thanks very much. That's exactly what I was thinking of. (I couldn't get your link to work, BTW) Apparently not an amphibian, though, but a cool, simple seaplane. Looks fast (in a Buick Skylark kinda way) just sitting there.
Google Image Result for https://www.earlyaviators.com/controlwing4.jpg

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Avid Amphibians are not plans built, but an old kit is probably cheaper than raw materials.

jany77

thank you i was looking for avid or kitfox but it looks like they all have disappeared from market

blane.c

HBA Supporter
The simplest way to get a inexpensive seaplane is to put floats on something. Muk Tuk built some interesting wood float kits, To my understanding Fisher Flying Products now has the plans for them but would require verification. Why they do not market them or if they sell the plans I do not know.

Post #5
Adding Floats? | HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

2200 Series Amphib Floats | Montana Float | 406-293-9026

Zenair float prices - Zenair Floats

Wag-Aero North-Aire Float Drawing

Why floats are rigged the way they are (stoneylake.org)

Attachments

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Although not "homebuilts" per se, there are several weight shift "trike" type aircraft that have been mated to small inflatable boat hulls, Zodiac style boats, etc. You can see hundreds of youtube videos of these things buzzing around almost every tourist-trap blue water beach and tropical resort on the planet.

I'm sure somebody has done an amphibious version that can roll on solid ground in addition to the floating raft ?