• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

plans are harder than kits, NOT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust

Common misconception,

Because you build every part, Plans built planes all take a long time and allot of skills and tools

Kit planes come in big pieces and therefore go together quicker than a plans build plane.

I hate it when this is said or implied. I have seen "simple" kits take ten years and plans planes built in 18 months.

A friend orderred a kit plane and a 25 foot box came with almost all of the parts. After going through the box and reviewing the ten pages of instructions, he put them back into his garage ten or so years ago, never to work on them, totally intimidated by the lack of instructions and the quantity of parts.

Some kits build fast, most DO NOT.

Some plans build fast, most do not.

Do not trust the plans or the kit builder for times, speeds or cost, only trust builders. Talk to a few.

I met a velocity builder in georga, he had been working near full time for 9 years.

The old way to get a plans built plane was a set of schematics, ruttan changed that by supplying a very very detailed set of plans AND instructions, i believe many plans people now do this.

my advice, look at ALL the planes, ignore wether kit or plans, pick one and due your research, much easier now, with the internet, than before, no internet.

butg remember, K I T does not spell faster

enjoy the build

Dust

Back