• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Planning my first project for the future!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant45100

TL;DR: I’m saving up for a project! 60K is my absolute max on the budget, and I’ve been researching the hell out of many many planes to determine what I should go with! Any insight or information on any of these planes, or any other planes, would be highly appreciated!

Hey there! I’m Anthony, and I’m pretty new to aviation in general. I’ve been researching a lot about planes, and the more I look into Experimental, Kits, or Homebuilt aircraft, the more I really would love to start a project. Primary issue about that is that right now I’m only 20, and am currently saving my money for a down payment on a house, and won’t have the money allocated for a plane until roughly 2 to 3 years from now on my current budget. So for now I am planning! I’ve researched planes in the 60K maximum area, and have found a lot of good options, and could use any advice you’d like to give! Here’s my options so far!

Van’s RV-4: literally everyone loves this plane that I’ve seen. If you’re a regular here I assume you already know all about it and more.
Sonex/Waiex: Seems like a solid set of planes with a good track record, although the engine choices have me stumped! This plane sounds like a good middle ground of being realistically completable in a couple years, while also having a lot of things I enjoy!
Sonex OneX: there’s a lot less info out there on this than the Waiex or Sonex; but this is the most interesting of the 3 to me, as garage storage sounds incredible! On top of that I’d most definitely be able to invest in top tier avionics too!
Merlin PSA: This thing looks stupid easy to work with. Realistically completable in 2 months by someone like me, it sounds like a great way to dip my toes into building while also having a nice little plane to have fun in! It’s also super efficient, which would be nice for my use case.
SkyCraft SD-1 Minisport: I just found this one tonight, with a wooden frame it seems to be the most unique one to build, although I’m no carpenter and am not sure of the ups and downs to building with wood, any advice on it would be appreciated! This plane is similar to the PSA in actual use, however the build process seems fun and unlike anything else, which is both a good and terrifying prospect at the same time. I’m not sure if they still make kits however, it seems like they may have moved onto only prebuilts.

Thanks for reading through my long ass list of BS! I’m interested in learning more about the build process and look forward to working on one of these for a year or a few down the line, thanks for any help!

Back