• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Planform question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dana62448

I'm working on a part 103 design and have a question about a double taper planform,
I'm using a high wing with a carbon D cell and drag spar supported by two points at the root
and a single strut attached at the lower longeron and 30-40% of the halfspan.
I would like to use a 20% Airfoil at the strut attach point, tapering to 12% at the tip and 16% at the root.
The goal is to optimize the spar depth and build a very light wing.
What are the airflow implications for this Stinson Reliant type planform,
particularly at the root/cabane attach point.
I am shooting for a 25mph stall.
I'm planning to use Junkers flaps for lateral control a la Backyard Flier,
which also accomplished this low stall speed with a very thick tapered wing.

Back