Quantcast

Pitts Single vs. Two seat design differences

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

paraplane

I have noticed that Pitts S1 kits/projects are available with a fairly high frequency and a pretty low price less than 5,000 but almost never see S2 kits/projects for sale and complete and flying aircraft seem to cost 50,000 dollars or more when available. I can understand the S2 is a more desired plane because of the ability to provide exhilarating rides to friends and could be used as a workhorse for paying customers at fly-ins or airshows etc. My question is is there any major design or other technical difference that explain the divergence in cost aside from power plant? What difference in airframe are there other than wing length, spar strength and fuselage length?

TFF

It was only offered as an assembly kit like the Eagle. Raven had a clone. Some have done up their own. Most bail and build a Skybolt. Pitts threw everything at making it certified so he did not really want to complete with himself.

TFF

Nothing spectacular about the design except that Pitts pulled it off as certified.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The answer is "market forces". A single place airplane costs almost as much in material and labor as a two place, but has a tiny fraction of the market appeal.

The selling price of an airplane has very little to do with the raw materials use to build it.

Thats exactly why people will trip over each other to pay $20k for a "new" PA18 or Carbon Cub fuselage, but nobody will touch my Pacer clone or my neighbors Tailwind for a fraction of that. Same material cost, same end result... Go figure.

TFF

S2 Pitts were only available with pre welded fuselage. Only a few were made and some were completed at the factory. No plans were ever released. It’s apples and oranges in that family. That was what the Skybolt was about. A slightly bigger Pitts two seat. Someone scored a two plane project set for $5000 just recently for Skybolt. Starduster Toos go cheap as well as Acrosports. The S2 is considered the gold standard.

As much as a two seat is more money, actually what the problem is the single seat holds no value. Single seat planes are stingy for family planes. Only one gets to go. Does not play well. That option even if never used may be the difference between ownership and dreaming. The prices are depressed because at best a Single seat Pitts can haul a person and a backpack. You can’t make a run for the coast and come back with 40 pounds of shrimp strapped in the front seat. Or go pick up a friend for the weekend. Can’t bring a shrimp cocktail in the single. As little utility a two seat Pitts has, it has way more than a single in the minds eye.