PITTS s2s single wing conversion(monoplane)

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BOURNE

You are expecting 220+ knots on 165 HP. That's ambitious to put it lightly. Can you think of any other tube and fabric airplanes that will perform like that?

Concerning the tapered wing - in what context do you assign the term "efficient"? Strength to weight, lift to drag, control harmony... Whats your baseline for reference?
with a supercharger attached, we ll be looking at 210hp in the least.
efficiency in terms of control harmony

BOURNE

No and never was meant to. I think the love of climb was the incentive. I think it made it a porky plane. I’m a Phil Kraft fan. I was not happy when I heard it had been chopped into
I would love and build an improved SuperFli mostly better ailerons. Wing seems to be a lot like a One design and Rihn knew some about it.

Without just being dedicated speed plane, over 220 is really pushing speed for a conventional build it yourself regular airplane. 170 is probably closer to reality. Anyone want a canard cheap in Georgia? Proof its easy.

Wood, the kind used in aviation, is hard to find in Africa. Same with the plywood. I would think building something like a Sonerai 2 would be more in line with what you can get your hands on to build with. Aluminum wing, tube fuselage. Pretty fast in a reasonable way. I think that is a realistic plane to build without shipping expensive materials halfway across the world.
You really have a point concerning the ply wood. I know it needs specific layers. I have some foreign plywood that meets the requirement. still experimenting with the wood strips.
I had to scrap 8 out of 10 ribs over the weekend.
will be taking a different approach. realised that adding a bevel to the truss endpoints makes for a much enter joint. The two remaining ribs proved it.

thanks for the sonerai 2 suggestion. seems just a few modifications needed to the frame for center mounting the wing.

cheers
Bourne

TFF

Wood strips can’t be used for ply on wing ribs. Too heavy and will split. The ply is what holds the wing ribs together.

flitzerpilot

Scramjetter, there is a two-seat Flitzer biplane very near completion in the UK, the Verner 7U now ready to install. But it's probably more complex than building a steel-tube fuselaged biplane. Here in the UK we tended to build homebuilt types entirely from wood early on and the Flitzers reflect this material choice.

But if you want an inexpensive wooden single seat biplane for carefree aerobatics, I can vouch for the Z-21 or derivatives. Of course radial engines can be installed in some models, which makes them even more appealing!

Appowner

You can search on how the big one flies on RC Universe. One of Phil Krafts flying buddies would fly airshows in it. The ailerons were pretty heavy. It’s still around but I think someone put a 540 in it. Phil kept the N number. If you fly RC, his radio protocol is what you fly today.
Late 70's I worked part time at a Kraft service center. However about the only thing left of Phil's design in todays radios is the pulse width still controls servo position. And I'm not sure Phil actually designed that but simply borrowed the concept. However in the day his radios were hands down the best. Today's radios are so computerized you'll never really know just what you have. And configuration errors seem to be the crash of choice anymore.

TFF

I have a half Dozen Kraft radios including two Signature although not originally mine. I still have an Ugly Stick set up with one for fun. Kraft had the right buddies who designed the “new” stuff. It’s all documented; Bell lab transistors before most knew what to do with them. Now days I just fight the programming to get it to work. No electronics fun anymore. Still to have anything last this long means it was done right.
There are line drawings of the Super Fli. Tube positions and general wing layout, but no dimensions, so it would still be a job to work out.

Appowner

I have a half Dozen Kraft radios including two Signature although not originally mine. I still have an Ugly Stick set up with one for fun. Kraft had the right buddies who designed the “new” stuff. It’s all documented; Bell lab transistors before most knew what to do with them. Now days I just fight the programming to get it to work. No electronics fun anymore. Still to have anything last this long means it was done right.
There are line drawings of the Super Fli. Tube positions and general wing layout, but no dimensions, so it would still be a job to work out.
To start, if you'd like to let go of one of the signature sets?

Second, plans for the RC version of the Super Fli are available here: Super Fli Plans
It would at least be a start should you want to build full size.

TFF

I have a Concept Models 40 size in the box. One signature is a 76 and one is a 78 I think. Surprising how different they are with improvements. I got a dial a crash too. Sold a Z years ago which I wish I had to put modern stuff in it and not feel bad, although it should have all been sold a few years ago when people were hungry for them. They are much nicer to hold than the new stuff to me.

Appowner

I have a Concept Models 40 size in the box. One signature is a 76 and one is a 78 I think. Surprising how different they are with improvements. I got a dial a crash too. Sold a Z years ago which I wish I had to put modern stuff in it and not feel bad, although it should have all been sold a few years ago when people were hungry for them. They are much nicer to hold than the new stuff to me.
My first proportional radios were the Blue Max kit radios. Forget who made the kit but it wasn't Heathkit. All components had to be soldered to the boards to include the servos. They were my introduction to electronics. But low and behold, they both worked and for the time, worked well. No doubt those radios influenced my working career in radio systems and computer networks. So in a sense one could say, they paid the bills. :D

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still have a World Engines Blue Max radio they my Dad bought in the 1970s. It got flaky, so we relegated it to a sailboat and Dad bought a new Kraft radio for his planes.

Are the old radios (I still have a bunch of them) legal to use any more?

TFF

If they are narrow band, they are legal. Kraft did all the testing for narrow but was gone when it became law. They still made stuff before the end. I have narrow FM for my stuff along with a few narrow AM and plenty of the old something and white flag frequencies. Adding a 2.4 module requires some thinking because Kraft ran battery voltage to the RF, which is why the signal was super strong. I believe 5v is what everyone uses now. I think you might have to flip the pulse or something like that too. Been done on the list.

TFF

There was also the interim where modified wide could be used on certain narrow freq. silver sticker I think. Gold means it was all up to date when that was going on at the beginning.

TFF

If all threads need to stay on track, are we to start hitting the report button? There is aviation in the answers, not political banter. It’s as much a stretch as talking about Verners and Flitzer biplanes.