PITTS s2s single wing conversion(monoplane)

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BOURNE

I appreciate you guys.
hope you ll stick around while I complete this pitts

TFF

I think to be realistic 200 mph is an obtainable goal. You are starting off with a handicap just trying to convert something to something different. Do you have an engine in mind?

BOURNE

I think to be realistic 200 mph is an obtainable goal. You are starting off with a handicap just trying to convert something to something different. Do you have an engine in mind?
Are you referring to the speed for the single wing or the stock pitts?
the engine for this is a Subaru single cam ej25_165hp

BJC

HBA Supporter
That fuselage looks unlike any Pitts fuselage that I have seen, and the performance goals are pure folly.

Trolling isn’t nice.

I’m out.

BJC

Last edited:

scramjetter

Yeah, this is on spot. Really, DR 10X are a design for people on the fence of whether to go 1 or 2 wings. I love the Rihn models because I think he was really working for the common man to get into competitive aerobatics on a budget. I can't image Curtis looking at a monoplane version of any of his designs and liking it.

Ask Lynn Williams if you can chop off a wing. He'll design you a better airplane.

Buy some DR107 plans; maybe some Laser ones too. Did you build it as a single seater?

As a guess, Overall the tubing will probably be savable but all the center area seat forward would need to be gutted for the wing mounting as it will not be even close.

scramjetter

WOW! Every time I think I know what Pitts did, I am still surprised! I had absolutely no idea he designed a monoplane and I follow Bud Davisson. I love everything from the Stinker to the SS, Samson, the -12, Culp's Special, and whatever is going on with the -14. If the Starduster Too didn't have a grip on me, I'd build a single hole Pitts.

Thanks for the education, seriously, I had no idea!

BJC

HBA Supporter
If the Starduster Too didn't have a grip on me, I'd build a single hole Pitts.
The Starduster Too is a really good looking airplane, but once you fly a properly rigged and trimmed S-1S with aileron spades plus rudder and elevator gap seals, you won’t be satisfied with the handling qualities of any other airplane.

BJC

scramjetter

:)

No, I know that, there's no question the Pitts is a superior 2-wing aerobat and I love its mean little (round wing) lines. The Super Stinker doesn't even need spades. Right now I'm just renting Cherokees. I'm 54 years old, low time, I've flown some dual aerobatics but the competitive aerobatics requires more time than I have to give and if anybody gives less, then trouble happens. Plus, I want want to carry a passenger and spread the love. I love every airplane, my problem is I can't have a squadron :)

I just have a thing for Stardusters. And Flitzers. And Skyotes. I'm hopeless.

Really, my dream is to be able to carry a passenger and give good times, with more than an hour of push-o-line on board.

The Starduster Too is a really good looking airplane, but once you fly a properly rigged and trimmed S-1S with aileron spades plus rudder and elevator gap seals, you won’t be satisfied with the handling qualities of any other airplane.
BJC

Appowner

The designer of the DR107 designed a lot of modified Pitts planes before he did the One Design. There is a lot of DNA of Pitts in it. The Lazer 200 has some origins from the Cassutt racer, but most of these planes are of the same idea. The Kraft Super Fli was essentially a low wing Pitts. You also may look into planes like the Stits Playboy, Spezio Tuholer, and the Spacewalker. No need to do anything else until you know the direction you will go. It is much easier to pick one and follow the plans, than it is to pick and match what you like. It’s a lot of work and there is no need to waist a lot of time backtracking to the way it should have been.
Here's a pic of the Super Fli, the man who designed it, Phil Kraft and his scale RC model of it. And at least as an RC model it is a lot of fun.

Kraft Super Fli.jpg

TFF

You can search on how the big one flies on RC Universe. One of Phil Krafts flying buddies would fly airshows in it. The ailerons were pretty heavy. It’s still around but I think someone put a 540 in it. Phil kept the N number. If you fly RC, his radio protocol is what you fly today.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Cruise speed : 260 mph-280 mph
range: 750 - 800 miles
payload: 50lbs

the taper is just for maneuverability. I believe it’s more efficient. Considering some data and Red Bull airplanes
You are expecting 220+ knots on 165 HP. That's ambitious to put it lightly. Can you think of any other tube and fabric airplanes that will perform like that?

Concerning the tapered wing - in what context do you assign the term "efficient"? Strength to weight, lift to drag, control harmony... Whats your baseline for reference?

Wanttaja

You can search on how the big one flies on RC Universe. One of Phil Krafts flying buddies would fly airshows in it. The ailerons were pretty heavy. It’s still around but I think someone put a 540 in it.
And I bet, even with the 540, that it cruises nowhere NEAR 280 MPH.....

Ron Wanttaja

TFF

No and never was meant to. I think the love of climb was the incentive. I think it made it a porky plane. I’m a Phil Kraft fan. I was not happy when I heard it had been chopped into
I would love and build an improved SuperFli mostly better ailerons. Wing seems to be a lot like a One design and Rihn knew some about it.

Without just being dedicated speed plane, over 220 is really pushing speed for a conventional build it yourself regular airplane. 170 is probably closer to reality. Anyone want a canard cheap in Georgia? Proof its easy.

Wood, the kind used in aviation, is hard to find in Africa. Same with the plywood. I would think building something like a Sonerai 2 would be more in line with what you can get your hands on to build with. Aluminum wing, tube fuselage. Pretty fast in a reasonable way. I think that is a realistic plane to build without shipping expensive materials halfway across the world.

BOURNE

Yeah, this is on spot. Really, DR 10X are a design for people on the fence of whether to go 1 or 2 wings. I love the Rihn models because I think he was really working for the common man to get into competitive aerobatics on a budget. I can't image Curtis looking at a monoplane version of any of his designs and liking it.

Ask Lynn Williams if you can chop off a wing. He'll design you a better airplane.
I think the no.8 was really the only monoplane Curtis was happy with. he bested at biplanes