Pitts / aerobatics questions

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Mar 18, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 19, 2019 #21

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

You either compare it to a Pitts, or an Extra, or a Yak. Maybe a One Design.

But everyone compares those.........to a Pitts.

2. Mar 19, 2019 #22

BJC

BJC

BJC

My judgement is that the MXS is the best competition aerobatic airplane today. Here is an example of why I say that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxC71kqzoSw

Here is an air show routine: https://youtu.be/AMKmJzBs_ZQ

I don't know anything about the Australian company that now owns the design.

BJC

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  3. Mar 19, 2019 #23

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

I took a basic two day aerobatics course years ago, in a two seat Pitts. They didn't do anything in this video we didn't do, so I would say it's no more than mid level stuff.

I honestly don't recall how many ailerons our plane had. For some reason I was thinking most of the later models had four ailerons though.

I cannot say what HP this particular Pitts has of course, but I didn't see anything that necessarily required an above average size engine. Based on my limited experience.

4. Mar 19, 2019 #24

BJC

BJC

BJC

I would be surprised if you actually did outside snaps in an intro course.

BJC

5. Mar 20, 2019 #25

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Aside from the outside snap, I've done pretty much everything in that video way back in my Hiperbipe days. Considering my efforts were a result of "self study", and I still don't know much about proper aerobatics, I'd have to say the sequence in the video is far from advanced. Either that or I'm just really lucky.

I've yet to fly a Pitts, but everything I've read indicates that weight is the enemy -probably moreso than almost any other sport airplane. A few misplaced pounds can transform the ship.

6. Mar 20, 2019 #26

BJC

BJC

BJC

You need to correct that situation, Too.
    When I was flying serious aerobatics in my S-1S, I launched with 8 gallons of fuel. When going some place, I launched with a full tank, closer to 18 gallons. The added weight was very noticeable.

BJC

7. Mar 23, 2019 #27

BrettG

BrettG

BrettG

Fly a Pitts, and you'll compare everything else against it, and usually find everything else lacking.... no matter the budget. While there are more capable aerobatic airplanes out there, they probably aren't a "better" flying airplane.

The Pitts really is something Special. Most of us who have "moved up" from a Pitts into some carbon monoplane would still tell you that on a gorgeous Sunday, we'd rather fly the Pitts than whatever we've moved into. The control feel, and the way that the Pitts communicates what the airflow is doing, the way that you can feel the slipstream around the fuselage, and over the controls is second to none. The Unlimited Class aircraft isolate you from the airflow, and though they seem to defy physics, they don't do as good a job as capturing the feel of aerobatic flying in such a magical way.

As far as that video, well...he says it's an S1S, so that's 4 ailerons, and it could use a range of powerplants, but is likely 180hp. As far as the level of flying in the video....I'd say that it's clear that they are having fun.

Spezioman and BJC like this.