• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pitot system question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Hi all,

I was reading somewhere a while back, about placement of pitot tubes, distances under/above/behind/forward etc., etc. when one fella said he put his pitot tube right on the vertical leading edge of his vertical stabilizer, a couple inches down from the top, protruding out about 6 inches. 1/4" aluminum tube. I've never seen one in that location, and was wondering if you guys might consider this an option. My wings are going to have to be removeable after my flights anyway, and this would eliminate another disconnection, allbeit a single one, and small, it's still something I wouldn't have to disconnect.

My one concern was/is: the 12 or 14 feet of tubing from the tube its self on the tail, to the instrument hook up under the panel.....too much distance?

Your opinions/advice are appreciated as always.

John

Back