Pitbull gyro look a like or concept?!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

erkki67

I haven't realy been interessted about gyros, especially knowing their dangerous habits in some situations.

But one gyro concept which I would like is a tractor taildragger gyro, not as sophisticated as this:

http://www.tervis.fidisk.fi/jt9drawings/jt9taildragger.pdf

but more like the Pitbull Gyro but without the fairings.

I would imagine, as far as possible a 2" by 2" square tube as fuselage and the same for the mast, 2 tubes joined together, I hope you get my point of view.

As an engine A B/S or similar in the nose.

Any thoughts about such an a configuration?

Bst rgds

Erkki

:ban:

Tom Nalevanko

Hey Joe, I like your design. And, for the thread, modern gyros don't have any more dangerous habits than fixed wing aircraft. If you take the wrong, stupid action you will kill yourself in either. One of the guys in my EAA Chapter dumped 30 years of old magazines in our hangar clubhouse (the hangar bosses really love this; LOL). Among these were all the old Rotorcraft and similar publications so I grabbed these and have been going through them instead of watching TV. Really interesting to view the evolution but a bit disheartening that all the promises never seemed to have materialized.

Joe T

Tom
is there any "rotorcraft" magazines from 1978-80?
if so, i sure would like to see them.

Friendly regards,
Joe T

greywuuf

Most of the "google-FU" will result in pitbull threads ending in debates and Nay saying on the Tail dragger configuration. There is exactly one clip of a flying pitbull on youtube and it is the Manufacturers unit ( I believe, it is at least the same vid that is on his web site) many were sold few were finished and fewer yet flew, and hardly any with any regularity. the tractor concept is sound and in fact the way most of the early commercial Gyro's were built. the problem comes with inexperience Pilots getting in to a Tail dragger and not being able to handle the two different conditions that exist on take off ... it has to do with the center of drag and the center of resistance etc etc... short answer is when the tail wheel lifts it wants to swap ends. Seems like the general consensus of the pilots I have talked to that have actually flown them is that if you fly it off the ground in a three point attitude they are relatively docile. I am semi half heatedly working on a design that will look similar to the pitbull, but starting from the ground up. Good luck !

konaboy

Hey,
Are you still building this, would you build another - I'd like more info. The frame is perfect - looks like my fixie bike.

DJ

rtfm

A profile fuse concept for gyros

Hi guys,
I'm about to launch into a 2nd project while I laboriously work on the Razorback plug - this new project is a profile version of the plane. I want a quick and easy build (also cheap) test-bed for the Razorback. I start on it next week when the foam arrives.

But this got me thinking - since I have a closet love of gyros, I was wondering how well the profile fuse would adapt to gyros. Almost without modification, here is the profile Razorback fuse wedded to an all-composite A-frame mast with a rear brace. The A-frame would have its apex at the rear brace junction, with a single member mast continuing up to the rotor head. The A-frame would continue down and serve as the main gear also, making the mast and gear a single bolt-on unit. 35 degrees of blade flap angle. 50hp Valley Engineering Big Twin engine up front.

This design would effectively consist of three main parts: single-pice airframe, mast/undercarriage and rudder. Seat is bonded to the profile fuse. Cowling optional, as would be a cockpit/windshield. I don't think it gets much simpler than this folks...

This is a preliminary sketch only, but with the details worked out, I believe the concept would work very well.

Regards,
Duncan

Gyro Profile 4 2 July12.jpg

billyvray

Here are a few simple designs for inspiration. I'm pretty sure the last 3 of these is a pitbull with no fairing.

gyro b.jpggyro_042_001.jpggyro2_541.jpggyro4_002.jpg

~Bill

Doggzilla

Hey Joe, I like your design. And, for the thread, modern gyros don't have any more dangerous habits than fixed wing aircraft. If you take the wrong, stupid action you will kill yourself in either. One of the guys in my EAA Chapter dumped 30 years of old magazines in our hangar clubhouse (the hangar bosses really love this; LOL). Among these were all the old Rotorcraft and similar publications so I grabbed these and have been going through them instead of watching TV. Really interesting to view the evolution but a bit disheartening that all the promises never seemed to have materialized.
This... the problem is that gyros tend to get flown down low and into fields that a fixed wing would never attempt... if flown like a fixed wing... using the same standard of altitude and safety... they are more than as safe.
One of the main causes of death in GA crashes is striking a wing and cartwheeling on landing. Autogyros can be safer during engine failure, due to a vertical impact being much easier on the body... while a cartwheel kills most of the time. Its a lot safer to take an impact up your body, than have your head and limbs flailing around and smashing into the side of the cockpit and each other. I hit clear air turbulence once, it was a lot like the time I got rear ended in my jeep... but worse! It smashed my instructors head into the roof because his belt was a bit loose, but mine was tight and It shot pain through my spine and smacked my head against the left window....
Just this one massive burst of turbulence... just like a car wreck. Now, a cartwheel is even worse, smashing your head around at several dozen Gs...

I will take an impact to my spine over smashing my head into the window... any day. Just my 2 cents.

Although I think gyros are one of the least appreciated designs... and need refining badly. Still 1930s tech as far as Im concerned.