Pipistrel to Market Its Electric Power Unit to [Home] Builders and Developers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

litespeed

Getting back to battery tech. I read an article recently on my phone, so I do not have a link. And my web search Fu is failing me. What follows is based on my memory, does anyone have any more details?

• BYD in China (I think it was BYD) now produces a LFP based battery with no containment case required.
  • The result is including the battery management systems, enclosures, thermal management, basically the whole shabang, they are looking at 150 kwh/kg versus 200 kwh/kg for typical LiOn NMC based chemistry.
  • Ford and Tesla are both moving to LFP chemistry on some cars. A couple other auto companies as well, but I forget who.
  • BYD was claiming over 2000 cycles of full draw down to full power before a 5% battery degradation.
  • LFP tech is just now starting to advance forward, and in theory could double/triple energy density within the next few years. It is short term more limited by manufacturing limitations than chemistry.
  • LFP has a much lower theoretical "ceiling" than NMC based LiOn batteries; and we likely will hit the ceiling much faster (easier chemistry to solve is what I read).
Any veracity to my memory?

Tim
Your memory is spot on.

The BYD cells are the future for lower cost, higher density and highly efficient form as a flat sided oblong. It means the floor can be full of cells and lower in profile if wanted. No big gaps between cylindrical cells nor 1000plus metal cans weight.
The cells are large eg. 50amp/hr each and much cheaper to produce per kWh/hr.
They will also be much cheaper and safer from a battery management (BMS) and controller systems. Less cells means far less BMS and less complexity.
At approx 1/20 of the normal Tesla battery's cells equals a 95% reduction in battery failure points. So much safer in practice.

These cell types which other makers will also mass produce are the best current (pun intended) option for electric homebuilders.

As for solar, the price is dropping yearly and here in Australia is $400 kw. But keeps getting cheaper and more efficient, hence panels get upgraded for non tax reasons.
Second hand panels are generally free or dirt cheap.

Here in Australia, we have the massive uptake in solar home systems, most grid connected but many standalone.

The idea of been able to charge your aircraft from your hangar and have spare to run workshop etc, is done here in homes, farms etc everyday, just add a fast DC to DC charger if you need quick charges.

Just like the battery's for storage coming from cars, the DC to DC fast chargers will in less than five years be commonplace, but upgraded to newer ones just like cars are. So getting a cheap but perfectly suitable system using repurposed parts will make a solar hangar system quite cheap.

Already we are getting electric cars that can feed back power to a house or other source at high rates. So .. just charging direct from a electric car also is a possibility.

And for those naysayers on power from grid being fossil fuels anyway? South Australia now often makes 100% renewable power for its grid, as does Tasmania. And it's cheaper than coal and gas, and doesn't rocket in price everytime a tinpot dictator decides to invade someone.

Only a few electrons were moved about for this message, and solar charged.

Phil