Pipistrel to Market Its Electric Power Unit to [Home] Builders and Developers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
There it is. And some will defend it as "a bold first step." Nope

Every cloud has a silver lining: we will get Aviation Approved Electricty, only a small bit more expensive than the regular but mucccch safer.

Pumps nicely aligned : 100LL, 91 UL, Jet A1, AAE...
A big red sticker on each one " For safety reasons VERBOTEN to bring yer own. No jerrycanning!"

Waiting for the electric aircraft which recharges on lighting. Wasn't that promised last year for last month?

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Next time you see some self-righteous green warrior driving a Prius or Leaf or Tesla... ask them how they're enjoying their coal-powered car.

The batteries will of course get better. Someday, a 50 pound battery may very well store the equivalent energy of a tank of gasoline or diesel, and not wreck the ozone layer and not create greenhouse gases.

Getting the energy to store in that battery... there always seems to be less discussion about that, doesn't there?

When the batteries do finally get anywhere near the storage level of gas or diesel, than maybe we can finally start talking about large-scale generation of energy to store in the batteries:

file-20170719-13558-rs7g2s.jpg
Only a couple of coal powered plants around my area. More NGL powered. We used to have one nuclear plant. We need to get back to that. Wind and solar are pretty big around here though. I wish there was a Darrius or Savonius vertical style.

ToddK

Supporting Member
Only a couple of coal powered plants around my area. More NGL powered. We used to have one nuclear plant. We need to get back to that. Wind and solar are pretty big around here though. I wish there was a Darrius or Savonius vertical style.
Agreed, nuclear is the only answer. Once the new (to the USA) AP1000s at Vogel are up an running in Georgia additional plants will be able to be constructed with out all the monumental first of its kind regulatory costs incurred during its engineering and construction.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Agreed, nuclear is the only answer. Once the new (to the USA) AP1000s at Vogel are up an running in Georgia additional plants will be able to be constructed with out all the monumental first of its kind regulatory costs incurred during its engineering and construction.
The new generation needs to be (nearly) "walkaway safe" and economical to build and operate. "Economical" almost surely means: Reactor vessel (or all major subcomponents) built in a factory in a standard way, like a ship, and trucked to the site for simple assembly and connections to ancillaries in a standard way. On decommissioning many decades hence, truck it all away for disassembly and disposal.
Standardization also helps safety a lot.
The French laugh at the US: "In France we have 103 types of cheese and 3 types of nuclear reactors. In the US, it is the opposite." Ouch.

Last edited:

opcod

At least we got a future with true man doing the proper work as :
a Tesla with a V8 that can cross the whole country in no time. Like ask those in Texas who get no electricity for days in winter.. They don't get juice and heat from the hipster in their e-car.. but with real truck burning fuel.

Attachments

• tesla v8-4.jpg
    tesla v8-4.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 1
  • tesla v8-3.jpg
    tesla v8-3.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 1

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
BTW, with regard to French nuclear power: They are having problems with corrosion near the welds on many of their reactors now. It is a widespread problem in many of their newer facilities near welds done on site. Over half of their reactors are now shut down (about 10 for this problem, all the rest for regular inspections and maintenance), and it will take years to fix (i. e. they won't be back up for the high demand in winter this year). This is very unfortunate timing.
More here:
French regulator gives update on corrosion issue : Regulation & Safety - World Nuclear News

Standardized designs: Resulted in a common widespread problem across their system (bad). But, it allowed a problem ID'ed at one plant to prompt inspections and fixes at a dozen others before anything would have been detected at them (good).

It may be a tough winter in Europe this year. In recent years France has been Europe's biggest exporter of electricity, selling gobs of it to Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK. This winter France might be seeking to import electricity instead. Best wishes to our friends across the pond.

Last edited:

BJC

Supporting Member
Once the new (to the USA) AP1000s at Vogel are up an running
Project started in 2005. No updates in over a year. AFAIK, still a long way from first criticality.
additional plants will be able to be constructed with out all the monumental first of its kind regulatory costs incurred during its engineering and construction.
That has been espoused in both nuclear and coal fired generation for decades. It hasn’t been done in nuclear, and has been very rare on the coal side. Combined cycle natural gas fueled plants are much more standardized.

BJC

tspear

Supporting Member
BTW, with regard to French nuclear power: They are having problems with corrosion near the welds on many of their reactors now. It is a widespread problem in many of their newer facilities near welds done on site. Over half of their reactors are now shut down (about 10 for this problem, all the rest for regular inspections and maintenance), and it will take years to fix (i. e. they won't be back up for the high demand in winter this year). This is very unfortunate timing.
More here:
French regulator gives update on corrosion issue : Regulation & Safety - World Nuclear News

Standardized designs: Resulted in a common widespread problem across their system (bad). But, it allowed a problem ID'ed at one plant to prompt inspections and fixes at a dozen others before anything would have been detected at them (good).

It may be a tough winter in Europe this year. In recent years France has been Europe's biggest exporter of electricity, selling gobs of it to Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK. This winter France might be seeking to import electricity instead. Best wishes to our friends across the pond.

Question is if France will bring in welders from around the world for a crash program to get as many back online as soon as possible.

Tim

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Question is if France will bring in welders from around the world for a crash program to get as many back online as soon as possible.

Tim
French labor unions, French labor laws, French welder certification requirements, French bureaucratic processes for weld inspection of safety related piping at a nuclear reactor.... I anticipate a cold winter.

It will be significant if the current batch of approved welders are just induced/allowed to have a longer work week.

I hope I'm wrong.

BJC

Supporting Member
French labor unions, French labor laws, French welder certification requirements, French bureaucratic processes for weld inspection of safety related piping at a nuclear reactor.... I anticipate a cold winter.
From the linked article:
Doroszczuk said that it seemed that EDF’s older 900 MW reactors - there are 32 of them in total - were not as affected by the corrosion problems as the others, where the initial design by Westinghouse had been "Frenchified" with the new "geometry of the lines" now seen as a more likely cause of the issue than the welds themselves. This new "geometry of the lines" promotes a phenomenon of thermal stratification of the fluid at the top and bottom of the pipe, which generates stress in the weld zones, he said.
Changes by builders to well-thought-out designs in homebuilding often result in unintended consequences. That applies to power plants, too.

BJC

Geraldc

The answer is to put solar panels on the Hangar.I think someone already sells this.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
The answer is to put solar panels on the Hangar.I think someone already sells this.

My answer is putting -a lot of- solar panels on the hangar, a big battery , a 20 kW-diesel generator and going completely off-grid .

The panels are recuperated from German solar farms which upgrade for tax-reasons to higher efficiency. The discarded panels , considered severely contaminated industrial waste, are next to free and still generate about 75% of original powerspec. The 60kWHr- battery comes from a crashed EV.

I went off-grid with water (there is a well on the property). The water company did not like that one bit.
Probably the electricity company will not like it either.

When the off-grid system is up and running, an EV (MG5) is on the purchase-list for commuting to work. That will erase about 30 minutes per week filling at the petrol station and a mayor lot in taxes.

tspear

Supporting Member
Getting back to battery tech. I read an article recently on my phone, so I do not have a link. And my web search Fu is failing me. What follows is based on my memory, does anyone have any more details?

• BYD in China (I think it was BYD) now produces a LFP based battery with no containment case required.
  • The result is including the battery management systems, enclosures, thermal management, basically the whole shabang, they are looking at 150 kwh/kg versus 200 kwh/kg for typical LiOn NMC based chemistry.
  • Ford and Tesla are both moving to LFP chemistry on some cars. A couple other auto companies as well, but I forget who.
  • BYD was claiming over 2000 cycles of full draw down to full power before a 5% battery degradation.
  • LFP tech is just now starting to advance forward, and in theory could double/triple energy density within the next few years. It is short term more limited by manufacturing limitations than chemistry.
  • LFP has a much lower theoretical "ceiling" than NMC based LiOn batteries; and we likely will hit the ceiling much faster (easier chemistry to solve is what I read).
Any veracity to my memory?

Tim

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
My experience interviewing for a (completely unrelated) job with BYD here in LA was so bad, that I would be suspicious of anything they build, sell, promise, or certify as safe. Especially where someone's safety is concerned. Business practices and corporate culture are infused into almost everything any company does. Yes, it is possible that BYD makes a great product and only their hiring process is slimy and the HR people are dirt-bags... but I have a bad taste in my mouth with that company that I'm delighted to have found an excuse to mention :)

John.Roo

My answer is putting -a lot of- solar panels on the hangar, a big battery , a 20 kW-diesel generator and going completely off-grid .

The panels are recuperated from German solar farms which upgrade for tax-reasons to higher efficiency. The discarded panels , considered severely contaminated industrial waste, are next to free and still generate about 75% of original powerspec. The 60kWHr- battery comes from a crashed EV.

I went off-grid with water (there is a well on the property). The water company did not like that one bit.
Probably the electricity company will not like it either.

When the off-grid system is up and running, an EV (MG5) is on the purchase-list for commuting to work. That will erase about 30 minutes per week filling at the petrol station and a mayor lot in taxes.
Very interesting 👍
"The panels are recuperated from German solar farms which upgrade for tax-reasons to higher efficiency. The discarded panels , considered severely contaminated industrial waste, are next to free and still generate about 75% of original powerspec. The 60kWHr- battery comes from a crashed EV."
If possible.... could you pls. post the link where is possible to buy discarted panels? Also info where would be possible to buy battery from crashed EV would be very helpfull, but used solar panels source is more interesting.
I am watching some websites offering second hand stuff, but not succesfully....
I don´t need many panels - idea is to make tests (efficiency with different angle settings, temperature measurement etc.). Idea is to use solar energy for e-glider recharge.
Thanks in advance ;)

Fred C

Very interesting 👍
"The panels are recuperated from German solar farms which upgrade for tax-reasons to higher efficiency. The discarded panels , considered severely contaminated industrial waste, are next to free and still generate about 75% of original powerspec. The 60kWHr- battery comes from a crashed EV."
If possible.... could you pls. post the link where is possible to buy discarted panels? Also info where would be possible to buy battery from crashed EV would be very helpfull, but used solar panels source is more interesting.
I am watching some websites offering second hand stuff, but not succesfully....
I don´t need many panels - idea is to make tests (efficiency with different angle settings, temperature measurement etc.). Idea is to use solar energy for e-glider recharge.
Thanks in advance ;)
Checkout craigslist