• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Piper Cub Lift Coeffiicent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skier

This is really starting to drive me crazy. I know I must have a unit conversion off somewhere because I keep coming up with the J-3 having a Cl_max of 1.85. Can anyone help?
Stall: 38mph
Gross Weight: 1220 lbs
Wing Area: 178.5 ft^2

Just to compare, the data I found online about the USA 35B airfoil indicates a Cl_max (2d) of around 1.75.

Also just as an aside, can anyone recommend a trustworthy book on airfoil data (of older airfoils, like the USA 35B)? I have Abbott and Von Doenhoff, but that is very limited in what it contains. It looks like Orion had recommended "Handbook of Airfoil Sections for Light Aircraft". Is that still probably my best bet?

Back