• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pinbal project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solomin

Hello,

I am currently in the process of trying to find an easier way to fix a pinball playfield.

A pinball playfield has a partern painted on a piece of plywood. This is where the pinball rolls on it.

After time, sections of the playfield ware our out because the pinball acts like sand paper.

One solution to avoid this is to clear coat.

So here is what I would like to do and any advice would be appreciated:

Replacing a pinball playfield is a time consuming process. One can buy an overlay (a sticker) that goes on the playfield which in theory can then be clearcoated.

I would prefer to use a thin but strong piece of wood (the thinnest possible) for which I can either put a sticker on it or perhaps print directly to the wood.

The dimensions required are 36 inches x 18.50 inches.

I would put the patter on the wood, cut out all the holes, clearcoat and then glue it to the playfield (using something like contact cement, in a way similar to gluing laminate to a counter top.

The idea is to prepare a piece with the pattern (and clearcoat) so that all that remains to be done is to glue to the pinball playfield.

I would like to use wood that is thinner than 1/8 of an inch. Is aircraft type of plywood a viable option? Is it the same as balsa wood? I used to use balsa wood for my models and it would be too soft for this application. The wood has to be hard enough so that a bouncing metal pinball would not destroy it.

Can anyone recommend a type of wood that is hard and wood work for this project?

Thanks in advance.

Solomin

Back