Pilots who write.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Swampyankee, Aug 7, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 7, 2016 #1

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Where are they? We used to have Gann, Bach, Bax, St Ex(well, not for a long time), ...

Are there any coming up?

I can't write worth snot. I will bet there's somebody here who can sell an aviation tale. Anybody up for it?

2. Aug 7, 2016 #2

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you haven't done so, get your paws on some old EAA magazines. Jack Cox was a great writer, you might enjoy that.

3. Aug 7, 2016 #3

skier

skier

skier

Take a look at Budd Davisson's writing (airbum.com). I have always been very impressed with him. I bought one of his two books and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  4. Aug 8, 2016 #4

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Thanks, but I think we need new writers, too. I remember reading Davisson,and was also impressed.

5. Aug 8, 2016 #5

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Keep in mind that finding a *market* for such writing is difficult, nowadays. Most of the magazines are into attracting big-iron customers, and writing about flying funky little taildraggers and gassing about turf runways don't attract Cirrus and Bonanza customers.

On the same note, those magazines that HAVE someone who writes articles like that means they're probably not in the market for somebody else writing the same sort of thing. So it's a tough field to break into. Best look for particular forum participants, and keep your eyes out for interesting blogs.

Ron Wanttaja

6. Aug 8, 2016 #6

WBNH

WBNH

WBNH

Does fiction count?

I have half a book...but it'll be a while before the other half is finished. I keep writing non-aviation related short stories...but intend to get the second half of the novel done as this year's NaNoWriMo project (something I do every November.)

It contains old EAA'ers assisting a college age protagonist in designing, constructing, and flying a one-off homebuilt (ostensibly Part 103...lots of hitchhiking for gas) on a very long cross-country for two private missions...and many adventures along the way.

7. Aug 8, 2016 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I write for a living but it's a specific and different type and audience than you might be looking for.

I've written several aviation stories and humor stuff "on the side" with no intention of getting paid for it. Some of that stuff is here: Aviation Adventures, Stories, Poems, Etc.

However, if you happen to have a six figure job available, for an airport bum type of writer, whose numerous and catastrophic character flaws always seem to put him on the smart aleck side of the line... I'll quit my day job and come work for you :)

Vision_2012 and delta like this.
  8. Aug 8, 2016 #8

VFR-on-top

VFR-on-top

VFR-on-top

This.

As a half-way successful writer for other topics, I can assure you aviation is way, way down on the potential for cash list. :(

9. Aug 8, 2016 #9

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Fiction does count. Maybe a novelist would be better at getting the adventure and joy of non-military flying out there than would a non-fiction writer.

10. Aug 8, 2016 #10

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

I'm just a poverty-stricken reader, not even a paid reader.

11. Aug 8, 2016 #11

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Well then the aviation stories and stuff I put up on my website is a perfect budgetary match for your needs.

Swampyankee likes this.
  12. Aug 8, 2016 #12

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Alas, I can only like this once. Consider this a few more likes.

Jon Ferguson likes this.
  13. Aug 8, 2016 #13

oriol

oriol

oriol

Perhaps comics do not qualify as literature for some but I enjoy reading both!

This is an unfinished comic I did about a pilot that is shot down over a rainforest during WW2.

I believe that the lack of interest of youngsters in becoming pilots and getting involved in aviation, is due in part by the lack of actual aviation idols. Part of the decline of sport aviation is because aviation seem to have lost its epic since the speed of sound was broken and the Appollo program ended.

It is sad that aviation does not seem to be a thrilling subject that attracts people to buy books or go to the cinema. Average people think of sport aviation as a sort of asian luxury, something that is more about status than a romantic idea.

Oriol

14. Aug 9, 2016 #14

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

As a young person myself I agree with this. The people my age are mostly getting into aviation because thats what their dad did for a living. There doesn't seem to be many outsiders anymore which is sad.

I think one possible reason there seems to be less writing from the younger crowd is how safe modern aviation is and all the regulations. For example, someone like Ernest Gann had lots of adventures and scares that simply aren't possible for us younger pilots to experience anymore.

I myself have thought about writing someday, I want to keep a journal and write everything I can remember about each flight.

15. Aug 9, 2016 #15

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

that's what I do, H6. I write a little note on each flight, so as to learn from mistakes or just to record particularly interesting flights and just to keep a back up for the proper logbook.

16. Aug 9, 2016 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

Proper Log book. What is that? I have just logged what little I have to by the regs, nothing more. I know a low estimate of total time is by the hours I have put in the airplanes that I have owned but that is not counting the hours in other peoples airplanes. Never flew to build hours.

BBerson likes this.
  17. Aug 9, 2016 #17

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

It's hard not to fall in love with flying. I think what we need is not pilots who write, but writers who fly. Expose them to flying and let it open up their perspective.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    skier likes this.
  18. Aug 9, 2016 #18

oriol

oriol

oriol

That is true for us in this forum, but most people I know do not give a damm about flying. How many pilots fly solo because no one in their family share their interest.

Even in the university most of the people I knew studying aero engineering did not even considered to learn to fly as a hobby, aviation was considered just a business. Someone in this forum said that he was offering to teach flying for free to youngsters in his area and he was unable to find a single person interested. Sad but true that is a reality.

Oriol

19. Aug 9, 2016 #19

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

I worked in aero for quite a while, and remember only three or four pilots, probably a greater rate than the general population, but not very high.

20. Aug 9, 2016 #20

BJC

BJC

BJC

Equating time with experience is a mistake.

I have a friend with 20,000+ hours, most operating within the IFR system. He also is highly experienced in operating corporate jets. I have much less time, but I have much more experience flying with the controls at the stops.

BJC

BBerson, Victor Bravo and Pops like this.