Pictures of my 1835 cc, flywheel drive VW engine project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Theodore959

VW T2/T4 2.0 liter w/reduction drive and 13lb. flywheel, 170lbs. I thinking of the J4 for this engine. Maybe Conti A75 better choice however about the same weight. VW is 8.1 compression, a75 is almost 10.
Peace.
theo

Flyguyeddy

Make groves in the #1 main bearing on the inside flange just like the flywheel side flange. Enlarge the ID of the 3 shims to clear the radius of the main #1 crank journal.
Pops, there is a guy who is using dana spicer 44 side shims for his thrust shims. They have a larger ID without having to try and lathe them out or sand on them. Should be available in various sizes

simflyer

Pictures of my 1835 cc, flywheel drive VW engine project. Haven't worked on it for several months. Was hoping to get the prop extension turned this winter and the brackets made for the mag mount on the pulley end. All the Bob Hoover HVX mods are done. Stock 69mm, German forged STD crank, all rods within 1 gram & each end weighs the same. Case bell housing trimmed to save weight. Case machined for the 92mm pistons and cylinders and welded behind #3 cylinder. Single port heads drilled for dual spark plugs. Need to install new valve guides and valves, springs, etc in the heads yet.
Don't know what airframe it will go into yet. Been busy finishing JMR and building a VW mud buggy. Also building a 1200 cc, 40 HP for a good mileage engine for the buggy. Bottom end of the 40 hp engine is together. Dan R.View attachment 94082
Hello Pops, if am right, cylinder heads are single channel intake, with small valves - cca 33mm. This isn't good for feeding 1835ccm. Better should be to use double channel intake with 39mm valve. I can share some prop extensions drawings. Am now building engine using CT block, with 75mm stroke JPX crank, 90.5mm bore.

Pops

Log Member
Pops, there is a guy who is using dana spicer 44 side shims for his thrust shims. They have a larger ID without having to try and lathe them out or sand on them. Should be available in various sizes
I have been looking but haven't found anything yet. The flywheel shims of the 1200 cc 40 hp engine has a smaller ID. If you used the flywheel shims for the 69 mm crank they have a little larger ID and you will not have to take very much off to enlarge the ID for the radius of the crank.

alr

I understand that a flywheel drive VW saves a few pounds and a few dollars compared to a front drive VW.

Question: are there any advantages of a front drive over a flywheel drive engine?

Bonus question, if it is not too far off-topic, what about a re-drive engine from Great Plains Aircraft?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Question: are there any advantages of a front drive over a flywheel drive
If building a stroked Type 1, I'd want a bigger prop side bearing than either end bearings in the VW. I'd want to use the Force One bearing and hub from Great Plains, and that only works on the front side of the case. So, for this situation, there's an advantage to the front drive.
Bonus question, if it is not too far off-topic, what about a re-drive engine from Great Plains Aircraft?
Okay if you want to turn a really long prop (WW-I replica, etc). Not okay if it is seen as a way to get more than about 75 HP from a Type 1.