Picking a Plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You can pick one (which may not be ideal) and fly, or analyze the perfect one and end up picking none, in which case you'll be stuck posting here. Your choice.

Doran Jaffas

Nope...
Picking a wife is . Then the airplane.
I'm not so sure about that.. I love my wife but there seems to be a greater variety of airplanes than there are women when it comes right down to it. One thanks for sure, you can talk to the airplane and it won't misunderstand you. The wife,,? Not so much.

Doran Jaffas

Murphy- No answers to call/Emails/and their facebook is dead. I thought they went out of business.

I just got quoted $11,800 for a Maule. That shuts that game down. Now, I don't know what to get. Nothing seems to make sense right now. Nothing is available, or if it is, it is not really what I want.
I'm not sure what you're mission is and maybe I'm being a little bit prejudice here but the Wittman Tailwind W8 with a low horsepower engine such as mine is a very nice little airplane that fits most of the bill only it is a two place.
It is sensitive and you need to get some time in a more sensitive airplane but they are straightforward and have no bad habits. I have about 115 or maybe a little more hours in mind so far and it took a few hours to get really comfortable with it but after that it is all just getting the feel for the airplane the more you fly it. Reasonable Cruise in top speed with low fuel burn and reasonable carrying capacity. I have carried two people at 200 lb along with full fuel and some baggage on hot days with 108 horsepower Continental and still had reasonable climb. Stall speeds are also very reasonable. Just my two cents worth but again I'm a little bit prejudiced because I own one. Price to own with a smaller engine is in the $20,000 range but then you have all the fixed prices as others on here are mentioning.

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

I mostly just bought whatever unwanted local airplane I found wandering around airports. Like finding a puppy.
Yeah but you know sometimes that is the best way to go! You know the stray dog can be your best friend and an unwanted airplane can be something really special. I know I talk like airplanes I have personalities but they do. One time I was leaving my hanger and I just said out loud that I would "see you later" and I swear I heard "okay I'll see you then." I thought my wife was playing a joke on me but there was nobody around. So do airplanes have personalities and talk to you? Well kind of like Santa Claus I'm not going to say either way.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yeah, you get attached to the airplane because they need care and restoration. Like raising a child or pet, I guess. After they are finished and flown some I find a new owner to care for them and start on another.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yeah, you get attached to the airplane because they need care and restoration. Like raising a child or pet, I guess. After they are finished and flown some I find a new owner to care for them and start on another.
The reason I had to buy the SSSC back.

Pilot-34

I have been kicking myself in the butt for not buying one of those that showed up in the craigslist thread here.
It had a little Ford V6 conversion of it and I was on the edge about it and of course ever since then everything I’ve seen about them makes them look better and better
If I remember right it was in flyaway condition when parked in a barn five years previous and they were asking like 4000 for it.
What was I thinking

Pilot-34

I'm not so sure about that.. I love my wife but there seems to be a greater variety of airplanes than there are women when it comes right down to it. One thanks for sure, you can talk to the airplane and it won't misunderstand you. The wife,,? Not so much.
Huh ?
Can I watch while you explain to your wife that’s she’s interchangeable with a few million other women?

Doran Jaffas

Huh ?
Can I watch while you explain to your wife that’s she’s interchangeable with a few million other women?
Nope.. That was sarcasm but it probably came across as a bad joke. I love my wife dearly. She supports my aviation and she goes with me on occasion when we have somewhere to go. When I was a student pilot my flight instructor said I'd rather have an airplane than be with a woman and when I was younger that was the case. I said airplanes were cheaper and more predictable. Roll that still is the case I believe that was a long time ago.

Pilot-34

I said airplanes were cheaper and more predictable. Roll that still is the case I believe that was a long time ago.
lol. Yeah at least 10,000 times cheaper.

I got admit I’m disappointed I’m not gonna get to see you tell your wife she’s interchangeable with 1 million others I was planning on selling the video and becoming rich

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I have been kicking myself in the butt for not buying one of those that showed up in the craigslist thread here.
It had a little Ford V6 conversion of it and I was on the edge about it and of course ever since then everything I’ve seen about them makes them look better and better
If I remember right it was in flyaway condition when parked in a barn five years previous and they were asking like 4000 for it.
What was I thinking
I think about picking an airplane is a lot like picking a renter for your property. If you pick poorly you will be constantly nagged and time and expenses will be disproportionate to desired. It is therefor wise to make sure you get a good airplane or renter even at the expense of letting some good one's go that you are unsure of in the short term, it is the cost of ensuring a good one.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I think about picking an airplane is a lot like picking a renter for your property. If you pick poorly you will be constantly nagged and time and expenses will be disproportionate to desired. It is therefor wise to make sure you get a good airplane or renter even at the expense of letting some good one's go that you are unsure of in the short term, it is the cost of ensuring a good one.
Is that about selecting an airplane or a wife?

BJC

Doran Jaffas

lol. Yeah at least 10,000 times cheaper.

I got admit I’m disappointed I’m not gonna get to see you tell your wife she’s interchangeable with 1 million others I was planning on selling the video and becoming rich
My wife as sweet as she is is also a very good shot with her pistol. Hopefully she never uses it to shoot me down LOL.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Don't forget to also be prepared for the 'perfect' aircraft to be introduced soon after you become committed to your first choice of aircraft. Went through all this years ago and settled on the 750 STOL. I like STOL capability, but it wasn't a major requirement by any means. I wanted a bit higher cruise than what the STOL offered, but as others have amply mentioned, almost any choice will be a compromise of sorts. Sure enough, not very long after my STOL kit purchase, they introduced the 750 Cruzer, which was pretty much just what I had been looking for. Finances weren't healthy enough at the time to absorb the loss from selling the STOL kit, and then switching to the Cruzer, so I stuck with what I had. It doesn't bother me much anymore. I've always been a low and slow, enjoy the scenery type of guy anyway. I don't really anticipate much cross country, but it will still be better than a road trip as long as I pack light. So now I'm happy with my choice again. Just be prepared for something better to come out after you've committed to another aircraft. An unfortunate axiom is that there will always be something better coming out when it isn't convenient.

I will note though, before I began to fear flunking a third class medical and losing my flying privileges permanently, the Bearhawk was my hands down first choice. It still would be if I was confident in passing a medical. Wasn't looking forward to doing fabric work, but the capabilities of that aircraft were just too good to pass up.

Latest posts