• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Piano Hinges for Primary Flight Controls - Pro/Con?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Some of you are aware that I’m interested in building a 2 place airplane similar in planform/layout and performance to a Harmon /F1 Rocket. Unlike those aircraft however, I’m planning on more of a “personal airliner” for a mission profile than a fun, sport airplane. My design will spend 90% of the time on autopilot, dutifully following a GPS flight plan to my destination while my wife and I relax and enjoy the view. Understanding that hinge type and location significantly affect control feel and authority, are there any aerodynamic pitfalls to using full span piano hinges for an airplane with this mission requirement bias? Keep in mind, it does not have to be a "sweet" feeling airplane, but it can't be "bad" (if that makes any sense).

I like piano hinges because they are simple, light, distribute load evenly, and seal the control surface gap. On the flip side though, I understand that these provide a pretty large dead band when faired.

Are there any other factors which would drive me to a more complex hinge method/geometry for this aircraft?

Thanks

Back