Photos from Flynano unveiling event (Helsinki / Verkkokauppa.com)

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dino

HBA Supporter
Still a brilliant design. 70 kg says it all.

Maybe a 254lbs + float allowance version for the American market would viable.

Dino

Aircar

Banned
"210cc combustion engine' -that sounds like possibly the Solo engine -- haven't heard of any failures so is there any further information ?

70 kg is not especially light for this sized aircraft --they could easily halve their 'drag equivalent weight' by enclosing the pilot and then not be underpowered.

S

Skysurfer

On their Facebook page today:
Flynano.com
Excited to let you know that we are about to start the production of the “fun flyer” and we are now building up distribution channels. We will inform you on the way towards the big launch. Stay tuned.

Head in the clouds

On their Facebook page today:
Flynano.com
Excited to let you know that we are about to start the production of the “fun flyer” and we are now building up distribution channels. We will inform you on the way towards the big launch. Stay tuned.
That's a bit of a surprise after nearly three years of total silence since the first rather less-than-auspicious 'flight' - well, more of a hop with the landing not shown, indicating to me that it probably wasn't a pretty event. One would hope that there would be an extensive flight testing/systems proving regime prior to leaping into production or worrying about distribution. I can hardly believe that this testing has been conducted already and successfully kept secret ...

Skysurfer, being in Estonia you might know a little more ...? You say 'we' are about to start production - does this mean you are personally involved in the Flynano project?

I've always thought Flynano has a great deal of potential and appeal, so I do hope something comes of it. However it would be a disaster if it is rushed into production without ensuring its very kindly handling characteristics first, otherwise I could imagine a lot of crashes with the sort of market that it is aimed at i.e. the flying jetski brigade, and if that was the case I would say that they would be banned by the authorities very quickly and/or lose popularity due to the perceived (or real) dangers of operating them.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
That's a bit of a surprise after nearly three years of total silence since the first rather less-than-auspicious 'flight' - well, more of a hop with the landing not shown, indicating to me that it probably wasn't a pretty event. One would hope that there would be an extensive flight testing/systems proving regime prior to leaping into production or worrying about distribution. I can hardly believe that this testing has been conducted already and successfully kept secret ...
Came in here to say exactly the same thing. Only one video of a "flight" has been released, ever. And now they're entering series production? Seems odd to me. Given all the early publicity, it's not like they're shy about promoting the product. So why the silence "lately"?

S

Skysurfer

Skysurfer, being in Estonia you might know a little more ...? You say 'we' are about to start production - does this mean you are personally involved in the Flynano project?

I've always thought Flynano has a great deal of potential and appeal, so I do hope something comes of it. However it would be a disaster if it is rushed into production without ensuring its very kindly handling characteristics first, otherwise I could imagine a lot of crashes with the sort of market that it is aimed at i.e. the flying jetski brigade, and if that was the case I would say that they would be banned by the authorities very quickly and/or lose popularity due to the perceived (or real) dangers of operating them.
I know no more about the FlyNano than you do Head in the clouds. I'd agree that there is a big danger of it being banned sooner or later if it is taken up by untrained thrill seekers .... assuming it ever gets off the water ...

S

Skysurfer

I knew :think: I'd seen something more about Flynano related to Australia in recent days and now I found it again. It was on Facebook on the "Ultra-electric: do it yourself electric ultralight conversion" group. The post was:

"I thought I might share the pictures of the V2 Flynano - Lots of changes were made. This is the version we hope to successfully market after considerable flight testing has been achieved. The Motor / ESC / Li-ion combo is the same as will be used on our land based prototype the Atom pictured here. NOTE: All right reserved and held by my company E-motion Airsports Pty Ltd.
Enjoy. ...
Garth"

One poster asked about the price and the answer was "price will be in the circa 40k area" - I guess that's in Aus $. From what I can find out E-motion Airsports Pty Ltd. are based in Sydney.

Over to you Head in the clouds ;)

Head in the clouds

OK, good pick-up Skysurfer. It's a closed group so I've applied to join and that's now pending approval so I'll get back to this thread when/if I'm allowed to join and can find out more.

I've just returned to an old thread about Flynano on our Recflying site in Oz and a member there called Gforce is the same fella that owns Emotion Airsports in Sydney. He's actually the designated distributor for the Flynano for our Region and doesn't have anything to do with the project other than that. His last post on our site said that he'd be expecting to import the first examples in a year, and that was posted two years ago.

So - the only 'new' information is the post by person(s) unknown on the Flynano's own facebook site that says they're about to start production, it all sounds a bit odd to me, to say the least ...

Anyway, I've signed up on the Flynano website to receive their news as they post it and will send an email to Garth Bingley-Pullin (Gforce) of Emotion Airsports and see if he has anything to add. Watch this space ;)

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
OK, good pick-up Skysurfer. It's a closed group so I've applied to join and that's now pending approval so I'll get back to this thread when/if I'm allowed to join and can find out more.

I've just returned to an old thread about Flynano on our Recflying site in Oz and a member there called Gforce is the same fella that owns Emotion Airsports in Sydney. He's actually the designated distributor for the Flynano for our Region and doesn't have anything to do with the project other than that. His last post on our site said that he'd be expecting to import the first examples in a year, and that was posted two years ago.

So - the only 'new' information is the post by person(s) unknown on the Flynano's own facebook site that says they're about to start production, it all sounds a bit odd to me, to say the least ...

Anyway, I've signed up on the Flynano website to receive their news as they post it and will send an email to Garth Bingley-Pullin (Gforce) of Emotion Airsports and see if he has anything to add. Watch this space ;)
The website really just looks like a way to collect emails to show investors or whomever that there is interest. Not the first site to do that.

Chlomo

Those guys have been around for quite a while havnt they??Enjoyed more than their fair share of attention with no real products.

E

Emotionairsports

I knew :think: I'd seen something more about Flynano related to Australia in recent days and now I found it again. It was on Facebook on the "Ultra-electric: do it yourself electric ultralight conversion" group. The post was:

"I thought I might share the pictures of the V2 Flynano - Lots of changes were made. This is the version we hope to successfully market after considerable flight testing has been achieved. The Motor / ESC / Li-ion combo is the same as will be used on our land based prototype the Atom pictured here. NOTE: All right reserved and held by my company E-motion Airsports Pty Ltd.
Enjoy. ...
Garth"

One poster asked about the price and the answer was "price will be in the circa 40k area" - I guess that's in Aus $. From what I can find out E-motion Airsports Pty Ltd. are based in Sydney.

Hi Guys - Just joining in the chat here. I'm the owner of Emotion Airsports in Australia. Yes, we are the sole distributor for Flynano in Australia and are developing other products. I will try to answer any question you may have.

Best Regards

Garth Bingley-Pullin
Emotion Airsports Pty Ltd

Head in the clouds

..... I will try to answer any question you may have ......
Welcome to HBA Garth.

Well, the questions are already out there ... has flynano actually flown other than the 'hop' shown on Youtube? How was the landing? Presumably the craft was damaged in the landing, or deemed not safe since they didn't fly it again that season? Did they fly it again the next season? If not, why not? They said the only reason they weren't continuing with the flight testing was the onset of winter and frozen lakes.

I've seen the picture of the new version of the Flynano you posted on the Ultra-electric diy group site, it looks terrific. Has it flown yet?

What other products is Emotion developing? Jumpy.gif

E

Emotionairsports

Hi Mate - I believe the company went to market to seek significant investment for which they received this last year. This enabled them to redevelopment the concept as it was very under powered and needed some changes.

I have been updated that the V2 proto has now flown. I have seen some video of this but its basic flight testing at this stage. One of the challenges EAS faces here with RAA is getting a factory built aircraft registered here that has not undergone any certification process O.S. So this we are looking at currently.

Hope this helps !
Garth