• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Personal jet market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hephaestus

So I'm turning into a parachute uncle/grandpa...

I got "retired" at work. Medical issue that won't really surface for 10 years but union and insane safety rules = freedom 44.

I'm supposed to keep my mind busy, trying to focus on making memories these days.

Last month I put 6200nm on the m20 - it's now grounded for 2 months getting interior refit, panel upgrade and having an oil pressure oddity checked out more thoroughly because I didn't like the "nothings wrong" answer in 30mins.

Hangar talk gone more serious thinking - what do you guys think the next 10 years looks like on the personal jet front? My 100$ hamburgers (ok more like 600$ first tball games) have been getting more frequent - it's mostly time that's my limit - getting there and back before next appointment meeting whatever.

I'm starting to wonder about that high speed commuter more and more... The price between 100ll and JetA is getting wider (my fill in tofino last month was insane!) I was running the numbers bored my last flight - my cost /hr in 100LL is 87.07$ if I was running a PBS LJ100 or 150 at 18gph doing 220-250kts (60-80kts faster, same 10000' altitude) fuel would only be 1.50$ more - but 100miles farther down the road...

Think this personal jet fad will continue?! Between all these subsonex orders and BD5Js suddenly popping up with a real engine - I wonder if that tides turning (well FAA issues / licensing aside - or maybe that's still good, Ive read a bunch about subsonex being used as a turbine time builder for wanna be ATPLs)

Back