Paul Weston Sea-Era

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Q

qxev

To answer your question, yes a person will need to be a pilot. USA regulations require a person to have an LSA or Private Pilot license to fly without an instructor's indorsement. Hover craft don't. My airplane is NOT a hovercraft for obvious reasons....drag. Looks like fun, but I want something I can actually go somewhere in. The hovercraft is restricted.

Holden
there are three Wing-in-ground options
1) only over water (class A)
2) over water and to 150 meters heights (class B)
3) over water and 150 meters of height (a class C) are higher

the license of the pilot is required only on a class C

question

where there will be more buyers?
1) there where the license of the pilot is necessary
2) there where the license isn't necessary

Holden

Banned
there are three Wing-in-ground options
1) only over water (class A)
2) over water and to 150 meters heights (class B)
3) over water and 150 meters of height (a class C) are higher

the license of the pilot is required only on a class C

question

where there will be more buyers?
1) there where the license of the pilot is necessary
2) there where the license isn't necessary
Answer: 1)

I cannot use a hover craft to fly long distances over mountains etc. I can with my roadable airplane. I can also drive the body to a store and get great fuel economy. I cannot land on a street and drive it down a road, but with mine you can. The LSA is easy to get. As a pilot gets more experience he can get the Private license. The hover craft is a dead end.

Holden

Holden

Banned
Nice, but how do I drive it down the road and use it on a daily basis? I don't need a bus, I need a car that can fly. Time is the issue. A bus is not good on time because I have to go by a schedule. Life does not happen on a government schedule.

Holden

Last edited:

Holden

Banned
qxev,

They all look nice, but what is the purpose of them? Can they be used daily? Show me a 737, what should I say? Nice, but not something I need.

Holden

Q

qxev

qxev,

They all look nice, but what is the purpose of them? Can they be used daily? Show me a 737, what should I say? Nice, but not something I need.

Holden
logic chain... it is necessary for us

1) home plane
2) but not "the car with wings"
3) on the highway it is necessary to go on the ordinary car

what is "the home plane"?

1) it to be stored in garage at the house
2) the airfield isn't necessary to it, there is enough river or a field

http://www.airconsult.com.tr/Shark.htm

it flies only over water...
has the motor 240лс and is on sale for $200 000...
if it flies on 150 meters of height and cost of $70 000... that it will be bought by thousands people

Last edited by a moderator:

Holden

Banned
logic chain... it is necessary for us

1) home plane
2) but not "the car with wings"
3) on the highway it is necessary to go on the ordinary car

what is "the home plane"?

1) it to be stored in garage at the house
2) the airfield isn't necessary to it, there is enough river or a field

qxev,

Nice hover craft, but it does not serve a daily function and therefore few will buy it. It is only a toy, not a serious transportation machine. If you have to trailer it, then it is a toy that cannot be used for daily life.

Who makes these?
How many do they sell?
Why so few?

Holden

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
qxev,

A few comments about the airplanes posts. You may already know what I am going to say so I apologize in advance.

If the center is square it acts like a wing about the 25%. If the shape is a delta it will lift at the center of area.

If you use a delta, the stall of the delta will be at 32 degrees, whereas if it is square the stall will be about 1/2 that, or 15 degrees depending on many factors.

If you combine either the square or delta shaped wing to outer wing panels, in no case should the outer wing stall first. In the case of the delta, you would want to rotate the wing nose down so that the delta can be at 25-32 degrees and the wing at 15-20 degrees depending on wing stall angle. If the wing panels have flaps, the rotation will have to be more.

By placing the wing and center body (square or delta) at the right location relative to each other, different effects can be achieved depending on goals.

What Sea-Era did was test the center body in a wind tunnel without the wing panels. We then combined the two types of foils and model them in the computer and got a Cl-Cm stability plat. As you know, this plot has a typical curved shape to it going to the right (negative pitching is to the right) if stable and to the left if unstable. (The graph is more negative to the right (stable) and positive (unstable) to the left by conventional standard.)

By placing the wings where you want them, the curve can be straight all the way to 32 degrees. This is very difficult to achieve without this combination of wings of different types (delta and wing). This allow the airplane to have good pitch control in post stall or in high speed "mach tuck" of sorts. In fact, you could in theory make a supersonic airplane that does not have trim drag issues and NOT need a computer like most fighter jets do by the proper placement of this dissimilar foils (delta and wing).

One problem with the Sea-Era is that the delta body has to pitch up nose high if maximum lift from the delta is to be achieved. This is not liked by pilots. That said, the delta has 1/2 the lift gradient of the wing and therefore gives a good ride.

My new design solves some the problems I encountered with the Sea-Era without needing the nose up pitch.

Thanks for the pictures.

Holden

Holden
Very well said. So are we dealing with Paul Weston here or the guy responsible for the design of the Sea-Era or both? I really like the design of the Sea-Era.

Holden

Banned
Very well said. So are we dealing with Paul Weston here or the guy responsible for the design of the Sea-Era or both? I really like the design of the Sea-Era.
Jay,

I am NOT Paul Weston. I worked with Paul on the high wing. I did the structural design, built part of the high wing prototype and did the wing tunnel test on the high wing. Paul built the scale models and I did the computer work, analysis, aero computer model, etc. We basically were taking the low wing and moving it up and adding in a 2-3 place "theater" seating.

I pulled work on the project because it would be a $140,000 airplane or about what an ICON would cost. I did not see a viable market at that price. I also found an aero issue I was not comfortable, which amounted to having the wing moved forward about 1 foot among other things. This movement made it not practical to put the struts into the delta as planed due to landing gear issues. During this analysis I came up with some better ways to achieve design goals so I moved on. Paul wants to build the high wing still.

Holden

Q

qxev

qxev,

Nice hover craft, but it does not serve a daily function and therefore few will buy it. It is only a toy, not a serious transportation machine. If you have to trailer it, then it is a toy that cannot be used for daily life.

Who makes these?
How many do they sell?
Why so few?

Holden
we again come back to elementary logic...

1) it is the device which is safe on landing more competitors?
... yes...
2) this device can be changed so that it was capable to fly of height of 150 meters, but nevertheless - remained is also safe on landing?
. yes...
3) this device can be made essentially cheaper in production (from $200 000 to lower the price to $70 000)?
... yes...

further I will explain - how the price decreases

It is only a toy, not a serious transportation machine. If you have to trailer it, then it is a toy that cannot be used for daily life.
1) don't deceive itself...

the biggest mistake of the designer - to lay down to itself initially impracticable aim....

it is impossible to create the device which at the same time there will be "a good airplane + the good car" rolled into one...

it will be "the bad airplane + the bad car"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0MEQSGW8w&feature=related

your Sea-Era even is incapable to leave independently on the coast from the river...

it will be pulled out by the crane (or specially equipped departure-slip is necessary)

- it is possible to speak about what convenience of using?

2) the home plane needs to be built for those people which house stands near the river. lakes.

who lives far from the river, simply leave the "home plane" on parking (as well as the ordinary boat).

but by no means, won't go for 100 miles, on the same device...

simply because no administration will allow to go on highways of the general using - by a self-made hybrid of a vehicle

it is elementary truth

Last edited by a moderator:

Holden

Banned
First off, the old Sea-Era does have a lot of limitations, I agree. This is why I did not continue development of the concept. It did not do things you mention. It was not roadable, or very useful. I get it. Please stop using the Sea-Era to beat me over the head.

Second, the new design is a better car without the front engine and wing, and is a better airplane, in my view. But it is not a better car when the front engine and wing is installed due to the top heavy nature of the design. This is analogous to a Porsche pulling a trailer. Without the trailer it is a lot of fun, but with the trailer it is not as fun. Such an approach could be successful. This is my view.

My new design can go off road into very muddy places and more places than any hover craft can go. It can go up mountains which no hover craft can. Hover craft are good only for flat surfaces, water, but fail in the real world.

Holden

Last edited:

Holden

Banned
we again come back to elementary logic...

1) it is the device which is safe on landing more competitors?
... yes...
2) this device can be changed so that it was capable to fly of height of 150 meters, but nevertheless - remained is also safe on landing?
. yes...
3) this device can be made essentially cheaper in production (from $200 000 to lower the price to $70 000)?
... yes...

further I will explain - how the price decreases

1) don't deceive itself...

the biggest mistake of the designer - to lay down to itself initially impracticable aim....

it is impossible to create the device which at the same time there will be "a good airplane + the good car" rolled into one...

it will be "the bad airplane + the bad car"

Terrafugia - Flying Car - YouTube

your Sea-Era even is incapable to leave independently on the coast from the river...

it will be pulled out by the crane (or specially equipped departure-slip is necessary)

- it is possible to speak about what convenience of using?

2) the home plane needs to be built for those people which house stands near the river. lakes.

who lives far from the river, simply leave the "home plane" on parking (as well as the ordinary boat).

but by no means, won't go for 100 miles, on the same device...

simply because no administration will allow to go on highways of the general using - by a self-made hybrid of a vehicle

it is elementary truth
First, you keep using the old low wing Sea-Era design as my optimal design. Stop it. It is not. I don't claim it is, or say it is. I stated clearly that I stopped the design because does not meet my goals, yet you still try to use it to club me over the head.

Sea-Era low wing failing: 1) not good at being roadable., 2) no way to store wings, 3) cannot go into muddy areas and needs docks and ramps or trailer, 4) low wing can catch, 5) one person, 6) costly, 7) limited down visibility, 8) not useful on a daily basis (key)....lots of things wrong with the Sea-Era. I understand...

Hover craft failings: 1) good only on flat surfaces. Hovering by nature is flat. World is not flat, except for water. 2) not good flying machine, lots of drag 3) Not able to do IFR flying, LSA or private pilot, 4) costly, 5) not useful on a daily basis (key).... Do you get it? Do you understand? A hover craft is a toy, like a jet ski is a toy. Sure, knock yourself out, have a blast, likely more fun than other toys, but it is NOT useful on a daily basis.

As for highway, no, if you make it road worthy and safer than a regular car, then the government will promote it. I made a presentation the the largest airbag manufacturer in the world. I showed them how my technology made their airbag inflators obsolete and how they can save 30,000 lives each year with my technology. I use to work for them years ago. They were not interested, just like all corporations are not interested in new ideas UNLESS you can show it and it threatens their cash flow. This is life. I get it.

Most people don't live near water so a hover craft is not useful.

Can you state why you post all these pictures? Is there a design point you want me to see that I seem to not understand? Please be direct and state what you want my thick head to get. Sorry, I don't understand.

Holden

Q

qxev

I made a presentation the the largest airbag manufacturer in the world. I showed them how my technology made their airbag inflators obsolete and how they can save 30,000 lives each year with my technology. I use to work for them years ago. They were not interested, just like all corporations are not interested in new ideas UNLESS you can show it and it threatens their cash flow. This is life. I get it.

Can you state why you post all these pictures? Is there a design point you want me to see that I seem to not understand? Please be direct and state what you want my thick head to get. Sorry, I don't understand.
Holden
dear Holden, don't take to heart my critical statements...

we here simply exchange opinions

you like one type of flying devices (quite perspective, in comparison with ordinary airplanes)

but my right - to have the opinion, and to bring arguments into its advantage

Q

qxev

besides, there is also colloquial barrier...

I will try to set an example, what flying device I consider an optimum (not on design, and on a priority of "an availability principle")

Flying-Boat Michel D'Escatha Updating of a flea for flight on the screen
The cheapest aircraft

the flying boat in screen effect 2, 3 or 4 places nearby and even more simplified (construction), in a set. F-Boat of 4 places from materials for expenses less than 2000 US dollars.
To quote
Automatic stability:
any engines
Doesn't demand training of the pilot.
The PILOT PLANE the License isn't required
Coast guard and sea it is REGISTERED as the boat
Fast-erected one month and is less,
The set of MATERIALS makes about $1800 for four places (without the engine and the screw).
Engine: 2 or 4 step, gasoline or diesel fuel. New or second-hand
. If she goes to flight, not a problem: you always over your "runway"
STEP BY STEP Design the plan were a leaf wide 21 "long x 3. Some actions on the scale of 1: 1, others, in 1: 10 with the indication of the scenario before each part. Easily for the house - constructions
Your garage is enough, even for four people.
. requirement storage in rent garage, on a beach.
Pou-Guide - Le projet "GROUND EFFECT" MICA (Michel D'ESCATHA)
The principle should be clear to you.

1) not simply flying device which is a little better than the ordinary airplane

2) and the flying device which has enormous advantage (for example, a combination of simplicity of manufacturing + the small price + the license of the pilot) isn't necessary

why enormous superiority over modern competitors is required?

because only in this case the private designer can ignore "leading producers of airbags", build the production and extend (as the flying car of "super quality of simplicity" many people are ready to buy... already today)

Q

qxev

yes, there are interesting subjects of original flying devices

At the beginning of the 1900th years Dr. George A. Spratt developed the theory simple in management of a balansirny wing, "Control Wing". Spratt also processed the first option of the plane Right who didn't fly in the beginning, and created design which appeared successful.
Press the picture for increase

"Control a wing" the plane very strongly differs from the planes designed in conditionally. Usually planes cope with the fixed wing элеронами and tail plumage for plane moving round its pivot-center.
"balansirny wing" which has "freely floating", easily controllable installation a wing of the plane provide a variable corner during flight. Each wing can be moved in opposite directions, providing controllability
. The design also differs optimization of sryvny characteristics.
To the death in 1934 Spratt built and tested various versions "Operated wing" of the plane. By 1936 Spratt, George G. Spratt's son, continued matter of the father in "Control Wing" the Concept and regularly flying its extralight "Control a wing" planes. He continued to be engaged in development of "Control Wing" vehicles for Convair and Bendiks. In the 1950th years Spratt developed a successful flying boat according to the version of this plane,
Spratt Control Wing Flying Boat - YouTube

 Crew: one pilot and one passenger
 Length: 17 foots 0 in (5.18 m)
 Wingspan: 24 foots 0 in (7,32 m)
 Growth: 5 foots 0 in (1,52 m)
 The area covered: 96 foots 2 (8,9 m 2)
 Empty weight: 500 pounds (226 kg)
 Full weight: 1000 pounds (543 kg)
 Engines: 1 × 800 Mercury turns the ship engine of 80 h.p. (60 kW)

 Maximum speed: 98 miles / h (160 km/h)
 Practical ceiling: 3000 foots (910 m)
 Skoropodjemnost: 800 m / mines (4 m/s)
Spratt Control Wing Flying Boat - YouTube

Holden

Banned
dear Holden, don't take to heart my critical statements...

we here simply exchange opinions

you like one type of flying devices (quite perspective, in comparison with ordinary airplanes)

but my right - to have the opinion, and to bring arguments into its advantage

I am curious what you opinion is, but I am having a hard time understanding.

Can you just spell it out? Maybe someone can translate this into simple terms so that I can see what you are after. You seem to be onto something, but I don't see it.

Holden

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I think I've seen more interesting and unique designs in this one thread alone than I have in years. I knew about the Spratt Controlwing - not so much about most of the others.

Thanks, Qxev!