• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Part making Challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an idea, but it might be a bad idea so I'll let others let me know if this is dumb.

This thread here https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28034 gave me the idea that we could do a group build, but just 1 random part at a time.

An example. We all have lots of prints. All these prints have parts. So someone could through a challenge down and say "make a .090" landing gear fitting for a Baby Ace". The original poster posts a photo of the drawing of the fitting only. Whoever wants to make it can make it, and they can only post 4 process photos maximum showing how they made the part. If 3 or more people made the part we'd have examples of the part being made differently by each person. Others, who have never built one can learn by builders examples.

Maybe one guy uses a CNC and another guy uses a hacksaw? Both methods work, and both methods give a chance to learn. Something like this would be a real asset to supporting research built cause.

It can be welding, coping, gluing, riveting, stitching etc. The idea is involvement.

If we had a challenge and a 30 day window for people to participate we'd have 12 different parts a year to show the next generation "here is how it can be done".

Thoughts? I just know there's a lot of talent on this forum and a lot of different approaches. The model machinists forums and metal working forums do this too. I have a lot of sets of plans, I'd imagine others do too. I also.have a lot of scrap material.

Anybody up for it?

Back