• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Part 103 Ultralight New Guy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbeetle99

Hello All!

New member here, 21 year old Airframe and (soon to be if Covid does not cancel school again) Powerplant mechanic! I am just doing a little research on Part 103 ultralight aircraft. It has been my dream to fly for as long as I can remember, I started out about a year ago flying a Cessna 182 and got about ten hours in before the FAA would not let me have a medical due to a medication that I take. Unfortunately I am not eligible for light sport now either, since my medical was denied, so until I can one day get through the special issuance process and get a medical I am really interested in building a simple and affordable Part 103 ultralight to putt around a small airstrip to satisfy my flying urge. I have been looking specifically at two affordable plans built aircraft: the Legal Eagle and the Airbike. I absolutely love the airbike, it looks like a blast to fly! The Legal Eagle is only interesting to me because it is extremely affordable for an airplane and has a vw powerplant. I grew up working on aircooled volkswagens and have access to plenty of parts and knowledge in the vw world. I was wondering if anyone knew how much the airbike weighed without an engine and if it was possible to make Part 103 weight with a half vw on the front? I really like the idea of a four stroke on an airbike. Two stroke is fine, they just seem to be fairly expensive and I don't have much experience with them. Most pilots and mechanics I talk to are not fond of two strokes on airplanes. Just looking right now, can't start a project till after graduation and my wedding, but I love to learn!

Thanks!

Back